BMW 328SE - Low beam failure

Page 1 of 2
The computer on my 1996 328SE is displaying 'Low beam failure'. Can I ask the garage to simply replace the nearside dipped headlight bulb please? Or have I got to brace myself for a completely new headlamp
unit?
--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

AFAIK, unless it's a Xenon, both the high and low beams are H7 bulbs. Why don't you replace it yourself?
Floyd

If you actually read the driver's handbook it gives details on bulb replacement. In many countries you are required to carry spares for 'important' bulbs like this so they must be replaceable at the roadside by the driver.
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Does that include those models for which the bumper has to be removed to change the bulb?
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

I would guess so, as I believe Germany is one of the countries that requires that you carry spare bulbs!
Dodgy.

For a headlamp bulb?
If so, give the make and model, Guy, so we all know to avoid it.
--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Almost anything relatively current requires a fair amount of dismantling to get the bulbs changed, it seems.
Adrian wrote:

volvos don't. I remember my spacewagon had to have the battery removed to get to one front light set. The A class is a nightmare, washer bottle has to come off to do the nearside, coolant expansion tank to do the offside...
--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

gurgled happily, sounding much

Bullshit!
You reach in from behind the bulb and unplug it, give a twist to remove it, and reverse the steps to put the new one in.
Jeff Strickland ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're funny. Or clueless. Or have fingers like ET.
Which is it?
gurgled happily, sounding much like

Well, my BMW gets new lamps that way. My wife's MPV gets lamps that way. And my daughter's Tacoma gets lamps that way. I have a kid here with an Audi, want me to check it or will you be happy with the suggestion that that is how one replaces lamps.
You may have a water bottle in the way, but there is no need to remove the bumper, as was originally stated. I am not aware of any car that requires the bumper to be removed to gain access to the head lamps.
Jeff Strickland ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Good for you. I don't even need to open the bonnet to change the headlight bulbs on some of my cars, nor do I even need any tools. About four seconds flat has the bulb out.

The very briefest of Googles of just this group returns :-
I've also heard that the TiT requires a dealer-only special tool to get to the bulbs - how true that is, I don't know.

Well, VW New Beetle and VW Golf MKIV officially need the bumper removed, though I was able to do a main headlight bulb change on one side with a great deal of difficult on the Golf without removing it. Removing the bumper was MUCH easier in the long run, only 5 minute job but I didn't have the required torx bit with me. I believe the Beetle is utterly impossible to do without removing the bumper.
Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine 91 318is - loosenning bumper and sliding it out a bit is the easiest way to change front indicator bulbs. Only two bolts.

I stand corrected.

As it happens, on my Audi that's not possible. The air intake has to come off first. OK, it just slides in and out, but I've heard there are others which are considerably more occluded. I may be wrong.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.
Okay, so SOME cars offer up considerable resistance to getting new head lamp bulbs, but BMWs are pretty easy to change at home.
contains these words:

Jeff Strickland ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Apology accepted. Oh, sorry - it wasn't offered.

I'd imagine the 1-series is fairly cramped in there.

The right hand one on my old E34 was a bit of a struggle.
--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Fair enough. I ain't never had a BMW - this is the trouble with crossposting.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

I can't remember which - but I've heard of some that need it.