BMW differential?

I thought I had a wheel bearing going as my car is noisy when it moves off from cold. It sounded so like a wheel bearing that I asked my mech to do it. He pointed out the noise stops once the car has done a few
miles and checked with a BMW mech who said it was the differential and was not unusual and not a problem either. Has anybody else had a similar occurrence? My car is a 535i 1998 125K miles. jack
Yup. I felt the same way with my car. 1995 325i w/110K Km. I'm thinking it is the wheel bearing, and yes it also disappears after a while.
Hmmm, so its the differential huh. Good to know.

Don't bank on it, chances are it's the bearing. They're not that dear and frankly you've little to lose by changing the bearing on a 125k mile car anyway.
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:17:31 +0100, John Burns

It went in specifically for a wheel bearing but the garage said it was not the problem and charged me nothing;-) pete

I am told it is not unusual and is not a problem. pete

Diff - if faulty makes noise on tight turns especially in reverse. Worse (but more easily ignored) on limited slip diff's.
Expensive (and very difficult on LSD's).
Far more likely to be a wheel bearing or similar.
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:09:56 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

That was indeed my opinion and I am a time served mech although I am retired now but I was impressed that the man didn't just do the job and then give me the bill. I am so out of touch that I always defer to his judgement now. Thanks though. jack