Differential bearing gone bad

I have a 2001 Wrangler with 45K miles. Just had a bearing go bad in the rear differential ($650 to fix, ouch). Is this typical or is there some driving habit or maintenance snafu I should watch out for that might have caused it?

Reply to
Spookshow

L.W.(ßill)

I wouldn't begin to point fingers at anything in particular, but this is not normal. Are you sure the bearing has gone out? And, there are several bearings, which one has failed?

Reply to
CRWLR

My mechanic friend at the dealership told me the axles were assembled in Mexico and several batches were set up with incorrect pre-load during that timeframe. Grand Cherokees also. Did your power train warranty cover it?

Jim

88 Grand Wagoneer 89 Wrangler 00 Grand Cherokee
Reply to
Jim Boucher

No pictures, it hasn't been fixed yet. I took it to a Goodyear to check out the problem and they told me it was a pinion bearing gone bad in the rear differential and that they couldn't do anything for me.

Reply to
Spookshow

At this point all I have is the opinion of a Goodyear mechanic who said he thought the problem was a bad pinion bearing in the rear differential and that I would have to take it to a dealer (or some other shop that worked on such things).

-Mark

Reply to
Spookshow

No, my warranty ran out at 36K miles (I'm at 45K). I didn't opt for an extension because I've had 0 problems with it up to now, foolish me.

-Mark

Reply to
Spookshow

This is not a common problem. I recommend a second opinion.

Where are you? (at home is not the answer I am looking for.)

Reply to
CRWLR

First thing to do, get it to a dealer for a proper diagnosis, could be as simple as a wheel bearing. If you're the original owner and if you've maintained it well, call Chrysler Customer Assistance and demand they fix it under what's called "Goodwill". The mileage is far too low for that kind of failure.

Soapbox: If this is actually the problem, and it's a Dana 35, well....worst axle ever put under a Jeep. DC should be shot for continuing this plague, and they damn sure should have to pay for failures like this.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I live in Minneapolis. I have an appointment to bring my vehicle in to Burnsville Off Road. Very reputable.

Reply to
Spookshow

Don't go off half cocked George. We don't even know if he has a lift kit installed yet.

Earle

well....worst

"Spookshow"

Reply to
Earle Horton

What would that have to do with a POS D35 taking a dump (again)?

I had one in a non-lifted '96 Cherokee Sport that toasted itself at 50k miles. All the thing ever did was run some trails and go to the store. (Oh, went to Denver once, maybe that was it.)

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Lots of things can cause a pinion bearing to go bad, and lots of "pos d35s" are running up high miles without complaint. Statistically, the fact that you had one go bad doesn't mean a whole lot, and it doesn't predict why this other one did.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle, the roads and trails are littered with broken, low mileage "POS" D35s. My situation was just a typical illustration. Ask ANY Jeep tech what he thinks of the D35 and you'll get the same answer. The thing is a curse and needs to be consigned to the trash neap of bad automotive ideas, it's designers and the finance morons who put it under the TJ, XJ, YJ & ZJ need to be flogged and have their pensions cut in half!

message

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Tell us how you really feel George. I had a Chrysler corporate 9.25" differential go bad once, but I didn't turn it into a campaign against the whole company.

I am thinking of getting the Warn full-floating conversion for "pos D35c" on my YJ. What do you think? I don't do really serious off-roading, because I don't have the time and I am not a nut like some of these guys, but I do go over roads like Cinnamon Pass a of couple times a season and I had the Wrangler down Poughkeepsie Gulch once, in the rain, without incident except for a potato-sized rock wedged between my new Turbo City cat-back system and the frame. (There was an old Scout up on blocks about halfway with some guy trying to put the C-clip back. I told him I would call home for him once I got back to Silverton and let folks know he was going to be late.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So what do you think Bill? Should I put a Warn full floating axle kit in this thing ('95 YJ), or wait until it blows and get something bigger? Remember, I still have the four banger and it shows no signs of giving up.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's different, most 9.25's lived to make it out of warranty! (What thr Hell did you do to it?)

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Long story, but to cut it short the housing leaked where the tube came out of the center portion, and the "Five Star Dealer" mechanic was unable to swap the guts to a new housing without completely buggering things up.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton