BMW Experiments and Oddities

I've heard that BMW in South Africa produced a limited line of E46s with 4 litre engines. i.e a 340. Any truth to this and if so anyone got any pics?

Never heard of it. There was an e30 with a 3.3 liter engine (333i), so who knows, maybe they concocted a similar thing with the e46. On the other hand, with a powerful e46 M3, I don't see what the point would be to come up with yet another engine choice.
Pete

I do. They didn't get the e23 745i in SA because it was left hand drive only and also (I think) because turbos perform badly at high altitudes. So their 745i had the M1's engine!! Maybe they're not getting the 335i but getting 340i instead?
"John Burns" wrote

But he asked about the E46. There were no turbo gasoline engines (like the 335i in E90) in E46. The E46 M3 is not turbocharged either.
Pete
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:29:37 -0700, jasoncoles snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:59:30 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

I don't doubt you but I never heard of that. I heard of Hondas with Triumph badges, but not Triumphs with BMW ones. Got a cite/reference?
--
Dan.

south America and featured the VW Beetle and other oddities still being produced in numbers or sold as different makes.
The VW Beetle was being imported to the UK and Euro land at the time when VW were concentrating on the Waterecooled variants like the Golf etc.
Actually I think the Triumph was a hybrid version of the old Morris 1300 FWD with the Michiletti (?) styling of the old Triumph 2000 with the rear pillar/door being a "dog leg" as the BMW trade mark - it wore the BMW roundel.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

The Triumph FWD models owed absolutely nothing to the Issigonis designed Morris/Austin 1300s - the ADO16 range. They had north south engines with a separate gearbox - totally different from the east west engine with gearbox in sump which was a hallmark of Issigonis.
The body was designed by Michelotti but there the similarity with the 2000 ended.
The Toledo and Dolomite used basically the same shell but reverted to RWD. The Dolomite used the 1800cc engine which was to power future generations of SAABs - although in modified form. The Dolomite Sprint had a clever single OHC 16 valve design and was pretty fast. It could certainly have been in the BMW 'mould'. But I've not heard the story of it or any other Triumph being sold with a BMW badge anywhere. Besides, it was a similar size to the BMW 1600/2002
--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?