BMW Z3 1.9 Catalytic Converter

Hey there group. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on catalytic converters. I've searched near and far for detailed information on replacement parts and there is absolutely nothing. As far as I can tell I have three choices the BMW replacement part ($1100 ouch), the Miller part ($746 ouch), and the DEC part ($346, I can deal with that). I want to know if anyone has any knowledge of these parts or any experience replacing this unit. I'd hate to dump a ton of money into the car and find out the part I bought was total shit.

If anyone can lend any information it would be of great value to me.

Also if anyone has any tips of replacing this unit I.E. other parts I should buy/replace at the same time, tips, tricks, pitfalls etc. Thanks!

- Broken Z3 owner

Reply to
kris.greenough

Rex B

I've been doing some research on this group and other web sites and I'm just not convinced the aftermarket is a safe alternative. With the parts not fitting right, and the pipe restrictions, and possible O2 sensor snafoos I am just thinking I am going to have to bite the bullet and go with the BMW part and have a pro install it. Uggg.....

How often do catalytics fail and what causes such failures? I run my car pretty hard, IE high revs, cornering, etc. (drive it like I stole it I always say).

Any ideas?

- Broke Z3 owner.

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
kris.greenough

A catalytic converter will rarely fail without a problem or malfunction occurring somewhere in the emission system in front of the converter. It is important to determine what caused the converter to fail, so that the problem can be fixed and to prevent a recurrence of the failure. It can be difficult to determine exactly what caused a catalytic converter to fail, but the following failure descriptions will help narrow down your search for the malfunction.

joe_tide