Changing E46 330i grill sections - how to do it?

I'd like to change my chrome/black 2003 330i grill sections for black or painted. Bought a set and looked at how the two sections that make up each
grill (and sandwich around the hood sheet metal) are put together and it is not really obvious how to release the flimsy black clips that hold them together. Don't want to experiment for fear of breaking a clip.
Anyone done this and have any tips?
- GRL
Raise the hood and remove the black plastic cover that is between the radiator and the grill. With this cover off, you can reach inside and release the clips that hold the grill inserts in.