e28 temp gauge spastic

The gauge will hover on high, then jump back to normal mid gauge area if I accelerate. (After full warm up) It also will spike a bit if I turn on the headlights or give the charging
system a load of sorts. 88 535i e28 automatic Where is the sensor? Thanks all.

On the thermostat housing. But the other poster is correct. Might also be bad SI batteries.
Is the SI battery the one that causes the tach to die and inspection light to illuminate? If so, I think that could be it.
David Emmet REALTOR Prudential Joy Tarbell Realty 2991 White Mountain Highway North Conway, New Hampshire 03860 snipped-for-privacy@JTRealty.com tel: fax: mobile: (603) 356-7200 x31 (603) 356-6161 (603) 662-9331 Signature powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this? Add me to your address book...
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

David N Emmet wrote:

One little tip for you David. Unless you enjoy seeing an inbox full of useless spam you might not want to broadcast your work email address on usenet.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

They're easy to change on an E28, took me an hour. Get a pair of AA size NICADs with solder tags and charge them before installation (vital). They live just behind the green LEDs on the dash.
Instrument panel grounding - tap sharply on top of the cluster - does the temp gauge jump around as you state?
If so -you gotta remove it and look for corrosion on grounds, etc.
| The gauge will hover on high, then jump back to normal mid gauge area if I | accelerate. (After full warm up) | It also will spike a bit if I turn on the headlights or give the charging | system a load of sorts. | 88 535i e28 automatic | Where is the sensor? | Thanks all. | |
Cooling relies greatly on airflow, because the temp drops when the car is moving, I'd be looking to the fan clutch first. This is easy to replace, but it is a bit costly. You may find one on eBay ...