E34 circuit sensor shows brake and fog light out...

My 1995 e34 just passed the 120,000 mile mark and a curious thing has occurred. I'm getting a message that a fog lamp is out, but it's not. Same thing on a brake light, even though it still works. Do the sockets
where these lamps mount ever need cleaning? Thanks.
It would do no harm to 'scrape' the contact points with a screwdriver and also tweak the contacts for a tighter fit. Also check the operation of the third brake light.

Here is a link to the BEST e34 site around. If you need any help with that specific car, these guys are #1. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f

The sockets go bad, the connectors go bad. The lamp bases need cleaning. The reed relays in the sensor box fail. The solder joints in the sensor box fail. All of these are sadly very common and it takes a very small current imbalance to set the alarm off. --scott

I knew there would be some good advice here, I've had this car for 9 years and I'd like to drive it for awhile longer without these niggling annoyances.

If it were my car, I'd pull every connector and pack them all with dielectric grease, and that goes for all the bulb sockets as well. Your goal is to prevent future corrosion, years down the road. In the process you're apt to find some corroded stuff too; use Cramolin or DeOxit (Electrolube if you are in the UK) and clean anything that looks like it's on the way out before you repack with dielectric grease. --scott

On Dec 17, 5:07am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I get my DeoxIT in England also. Much better than anything I have used. Great selection of applicators also. I use the individual wipes, pen and sprays. Their website has a list of distributors worldwide. www.deoxit.com Mike