E36 Squeaky Steering Wheel

I have a 95 325ic with a squeaky steering wheel....I've had it in the shop 3 times (BMW Dealer) to have if fixed. They replaced 2 different parts (not sure what they were, but
something in the steering column that rubs against each other as you turn the wheel). Spent almost $500 for all visits combined. Still squeaks. Thoughts? Tom

Conductive lubricant on the horn contact ring and perhaps filing the contacts.
Removal of an airbag wheel is best done by competant professionals. But, it's not a expensive or complicated job.
-Russ.
I have the same thing with my E36 BMW 318i 1993. There's a squeek from the steering wheel when I turn. It doesn't bother me, but if there is an inexpensive remedy, I would like to know.
;-)
--
"Somebody." < snipped-for-privacy@spamout.russdoucet.com> wrote in message
news:_npMe.7546$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca...
Try inserting the tube from a WD40 can up there and giving it a squirt.

happened to me once after service. tech didnt have the airbag wire secured right. wire was rubbing on something in there. good luck

I've got the same issue. I dont' have airbags. It is intermittent.

Tom Allen wrote:

Mine does this too, Tom, but mostly in the winter when it is colder. I am just living with it because it really does not bother me that much. I'm sure it is a problem with either the clock spring for the airbag or the slipring for the horn. -- -Fred W

On my car (92 318is), the squeaking started after the ignition lock was replaced. The cause was the outer cover around the steering column was rubbing against the back of the steering wheel, which was a "lovely" plastic against plastic squeak. Reinstalling the steering column cover made it less, but I wound up having to take a Dremel tool to the steering wheel face of the cover, and gradually remove enough plastic until they no longer came in contact.
hope this helps,
Don Taylor