[E39] Floaty steering at hwy speeds

Has anyone experienced floaty/twitchy steering on their e39 at highway speeds (say 80 mph)? The best I could describe it is as if you were kept getting hit by crosswinds and had to keep correcting the car's path. It's not very apparent and it's not that the steering wheel gets pulled out of your hands (like when the car is tramlining). Yet, it detracts from the fun of driving as the car feels loose and not particularly stable at higher speeds. Feels more like a boat or an American cruiser.

Apparently, BMW's own recommendation is to tweak the alignment specs a little:

Has anyone actually tried this suggestion? Did it help? BTW, the symptoms they list (fidgety/floaty/nervous) describes exactly what I'm experiencing.

For the record, it's an '02 530i manual with sport pkg, 32K miles, OEM rims and new 235/45/17 Dunlop SP Maxx tires. I had the alignment done when I bought the car 2 months ago - it is now practically in the middle of the recommended alignment range specs. All the suspension/steering components have been looked over with no sign of damage of any kind.

Maybe it's just me - maybe I'm expecting too much from this car, but honestly, it doesn't feel as solid on the hwy as a b5 A4 that I used to own before. And it's not the roads either - they're as smooth as can be.

If there's anything that you can think of that could correct this twitchy steering, I'm all ears.

Someone on another board suggested replacing items 9, 10, 11 in this graph:

well as the entire steering rack. But honestly, without knowing which particular part is causing this behavior, I might end up replacing the entire suspension and steering system before I find the problem. Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

"Pete" wrote

Oh yeah, here's the printout from that last alignment:

Pete

Reply to
Pete

e39 at highway

were

path.

pulled out

detracts from

stable at higher

Apparently, BMW's own recommendation is to tweak the alignment specs a

it help?

exactly

manual with sport pkg, 32K miles, OEM

tires. I had the alignment done when

now practically in the middle of

the suspension/steering

damage of any kind.

this car, but

used to

can be.

twitchy

replacing items 9, 10, 11 in this

as well as the entire steeringrack. But honestly, without knowing> which

behavior, I might end up replacing the

before I find the problem.

It may well be the same problem I had which was that a rear wheel control arm was worn out: One rear wheel had a lot of play in its alignment, requiring me to correct the car's path all the time. This was with my previous E39 528i. Replacing the control arm cured the problem.

I now have a similar problem where I need to correct the course of my newer E39 530i more often than expected, but I suspect this time it is due to excessive friction in the steering system (perhaps the steering column itself). The symptoms include weak self centering of the steering wheel and a dead steering feel, even though wheel alignment ought to be ok (BMW just examined the car throughly).

Reply to
pfloding

"pfloding"

Which part exactly are you refering to? Is it nr. 14 in this diagram?

Hmm... that also sounds familiar, i mean that dead steering feel. So, what are you planning to do about it? More inspections? Blindly replacing of the steering column (what if that's not it?). Just living with it?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

My car follows the grooves they cut into the concrete. This is normal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

Sure. But in my case the floaty feeling exists even on smooth asphalt with no grooves.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

which was that a rear wheel

lot of play in its

time. This

the

this diagram?

I'm pretty sure it was part 18. It was a very thick alum> "pfloding"

where I need to correct the course of

expected, but I suspect this time it

steering system (perhaps the

include weak self centering of the

what

of

No, I tried lubricating it today. Read up on similar problems with other BMWs. Not sure how to get access to all bearings though. I just lubed the U-joint for now, and some areas around it more or less in hope. Access was not good. Unfortunately you can't hire ramp-time here in the UK.

I suppose the power servo itself could be to blame. At the moment my mother's SAAB 9-5 has more steering feel, and that won't do!

Patrik

Reply to
pfloding

"pfloding" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.cardealerforums.com...

For some reasons, when my Z3 has been delivered, the rear wheels were inverted and the tire sculptures pointing backwards. The car was floating a lot. Where I was driving 130 kph with the old E30, the Z3 was badly handling. I realized the mistake some weeks later, looking at pictures I took of the car ! Large tires have a tendency to tramlining on the ruts, especially on the right lane :-)

Reply to
frischmoutt

The tramlining of my Z3 was reduced considerably when I replaced the OEM Michelin MXM tires with Conti SportContacts.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

BTW, Pete,

If you can jack up the rear wheels (one at a time will do), you can feel the problem I described as the wheel being able to move in and out. Grab it at the bottom with both hands and pull and push.

I think I restored some feel by lubricating the steering column U-joint, but I could be dreaming. I just think I can now just about feel the point where both front wheels are planted straight ahead (or following the curve on a cambered road, as it were), and self centering is a bit more positive. It's still a bit of the case of having to "steer straight" though, so perhaps there is more friction in the system to take care of, or there is some other problem -such as toe-in, or worn joints. The car has only done 50k miles, but is from 2002, so excessive friction in the steering system seems the most likely explanation (especially as the steering seems kind of heavy).

Reply to
pfloding

Check all the steering geometry, tyre inflation, wheel alignment, bearings and shock absorbers (or just put it in for an MOT).

This should reveal the problem.

Also check the badge - you might really be driving a yank car...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

car follows the grooves they cut into the concrete. This is

Sure. But in my case the floaty feeling exists even on smooth

with no grooves.

inflation, wheel alignment,

for an MOT).

you might really be driving a yank car...

I doubt an MOT would find any subtle problems. Not even BMW's own check-ups finds smaller problems that, when they add up, degrade the feel of the drive. I suspect they rather like older cars degrading so their new models seem better than they are. ;)

Reply to
pfloding

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

No such thing as MOT here in Florida. As a matter of fact, the cars don't have to pass any kind of state inspection at all. But I had the car checked at both the dealer and a BMW indy shop, and neither one could find anything wrong. Well, the dealer found leaking thrust arm bushings, which I replaced. It reduced the floaty feeling a little bit, but it's still not perfect.

It sure feels like driving a Buick sometimes.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Often on the big heavy cars you can't spot that there's some play in the supension until you've got the parts off. If the car's just wallowy then it's either just because that's the way the bigger cars are, or you need new shocks. I can't see the alignment measurements you have but in general toe-in leads to better straight ahead driving than toe-out which is better for cornering. If there is wear in the system you'll often get dynamic toe-out at speed even if the static figures don't show it.

Reply to
adder1969

"adder1969" wrote

Here are my alignment specs:

I can't remember now if the positive toe numbers mean toe-in or toe-out, but in either case, I seem to be within the recommended spec.

The only thing that's noticeably out of spec is the right front caster value, but the shop claimed that it was impossible to adjust it. Next time I get new tires, I will probably take it to a BMW dealer for an alignment.

As for the shocks, when I first got the car and when I observed this issue, it had 30k miles on the odo. Everyone I talked to said that it could not be the shocks at such low mileage. The roads down here are pretty good (no potholes), so the suspension doesn't typically take a beating. Then again, I am not the first owner so I have no way of knowing how and where the first owner drove during those first 30k miles.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I'm disallowed access to the photo site from work :-( I was going to mention caster but thought nah it can't be off. It can be adjusted but not necessarily without modifying other parts of the car - it depends how far out it is. Simplest is to elongate the strut top mounting holes. ...or again, it's a sign that something somewhere is so worn that the strut is way out of line. Positive is toe-ing out. I'd suggest setting it to 0 or slightly toe- in and see if it helps. You can do it yourself and if you count the number of turns you can always set it back.

Reply to
adder1969

"adder1969" wrote

The specified range for the caster is from 6 to 7 degrees. Mine is at 5.5 degrees on the right and 5.9 degrees on the left.

in and see if it helps.

The specified range for front toe is from -0.04 deg to +0.13 deg. Mine is at +0.08 deg.

The specified range for rear toe is from +0.05 deg to +0.22 deg. Mine is at

+0.06 deg.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"adder1969" wrote

in and see if it helps.

The funny thing is that BMW TIS actually recommends setting the toe-out (but still within the recommended range) on the front in order to counteract the floatiness at high speed. This BMW TIS recommendation is what started my original thread. Here's its content again:

I did have the shop realign it using these recommendations, however, it made no noticeable difference in handling/stability.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

suggest setting it to 0 or slightly

funny thing is that BMW TIS actually recommends setting the toe-out

within the recommended range) on the front in order to

floatiness at high speed. This BMW TIS recommendation

original thread. Here's its content again:

realign it using these recommendations, however, it

difference in handling/stability.

Yeah, but for the other case (pulling to one side) they recommend a relatively (compared to the toe-out) large toe-in. BTW, I wonder if BMW loaded down the car as recommended before alignment, and if not using it with the same total load and distribution affects things. Especially if some suspension component is worn out.

I assume the rear axle was checked for wear as well?

Mine is going to my local independent on monday to see what causes the slightly dead, non-centering steering. If he can't find any worn out parts, I guess it's back to BMW for a 4 wheel alignment. BTW, my car is perfectly stable on the highway, it's just that I got spoiled by another car that did a lot more of the steering (following the road) by itself

-and then I started to question where the famous BMW feel was...

Reply to
pfloding

Toe in will help high speed stability but might make the car not feel very responsive. Toe-out will do the opposite. You can have different settings front and back and that'll give the car a different feel depending how you have it. ..but thaving said that, if the specs are close enough to straight on then it sounds like there's something else at play, the castor being out of spec won't help.

Reply to
adder1969