E39 Front Right wheel ticking

Driving on the motorway in the E39 97, I was hearing a clicking or ticking sound, which was coming from the front driver side (right) wheels. At first I thought it was the wind buffetting but I did some
quick experiments and concluded that the ticking was coming from the front wheels.
The ticking also corresponded to the speed at which the car was going. It seems to start at about 60mph occuring 3-4 times every 15secs. This increases alot as the speed was increased. The ticks more or less stop once I slow down to below 30. But I also noticed that the when I steered at very slow/parking speeds there was a ticking wheels as I turned the wheels. I don't get any judder or vibrations though, but the ticking's got me wondering. Could it be the bearings, joint, rotors or something else. I know that for the car at this age it could be anything, but I'm guessing someone's had a similar problem and they could point me in the right direction.
thanks
ChrisJ says...

<snip>
Could be as simple as a stone? Though I'd expect to hear it for each wheel revolution...
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Or marbles in the hub cab (old children's trick).

Stones, marbles...don't think it would be those, but I'll have a look and see, but I don't think it is considering the way the sound corresponds to speed and steering and all. My instinct tells me its a problem with the rotors, disc or joints.
Any others???
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Could be, but at 60mph the wheels go round about ten times a second, not three to four times every 15s. So you hear clicking from ~30-50mph if you have a stone wedged in the tread (or a screw in the tyre grrr! (also hissing)).

Well, my fixit guy finally tracked down what the noise that was coming from my wheels where. It appears that the cover behind the brake disc had lost one of its screws (don't ask me how) an that it was flapping in the wind at that point which was causing the rattle...