E39 wheel weights

I don't see any weights on the wheels of my just purchased 2003 530 (premium package wheels). Are these supposed to be added to the inside of the rims? I'm asking because I get a slight wheel rumble around

70mph that seems to smooth out at around 90.

Ambrose

Reply to
ambrose88

The weights are on the inside of the wheels on my E46.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

They are generally the stick-on variety and placed near the centerline of the wheel. Sometimes, by aligning the heavy spot of the tires with the light spot of the wheels they can minimize the use of any weights.

Your symptoms do suggest a misbalanced tire or tires, but it may also be flatspotting. Does the vibration go away after you have driven for 1/2 and hour or more?

Reply to
Fred W

I've just replaced the tires on my car and asked them to place the weights on the inside of the 16" Style33 wheels. No problem with that!

vricardo

99 E39
Reply to
vricardo

I've just replaced the tires on my car and asked them to place the weights on the inside of the 16" Style33 wheels. No problem with that!

vricardo

99 E39
Reply to
vricardo

I haven't driven the car more than 1/2 hour since I got it two weeks ago. It's still there after driving on the highway for 20 minutes. Is that long enough?

Ambrose

Reply to
ambrose88

I have a similar problem I think.

A very slight vibration at 65-70mph and a low pitched humming which goes away either above or below these speeds....

I thought it'd be a wheel bearing, but not sure.

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

depending on ambient temps, yes it should. Usually a flat spot has worked itself out in 10-15 minutes of high speed driving. You may need a balance job.

But... if your tires are flatspotting you will want to have the wheels balanced *after* they have been fully warmed up by driving a good 1/2 hour on them to be sure. Flatspotting can be observed (and confirmed) by jacking one corner up and rotating the wheel looking for radial runout of the tire tread surface.

Been there, done that, had to rebalance multiple times to get it right.

Reply to
Fred W