e46 climate control has mind of its own.

So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it does it's fan speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control in 'auto' mode or anything.
Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?
--

thepixelfreak

If this happened six months ago, why are you worrying about it now?
-- Larry

Because I found this newsgroup yesterday.
--

thepixelfreak

"thepixelfreak" wrote

If it were an e39, I would say you need a new Final Stage Unit, which is a very common issue in those cars. Not sure if the e46 suffers from a similar problem, but it's a possibility.
Pete

Very common problem - final stage resistor.
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Thanks for the Final Stage Resistor clues.
--

thepixelfreak

Faulty heater fan resistor pack.

Had you pressed / knocked windscreen clear button? (user error)
The other alternative is that it is very hot / cold and the AC has waited until the compressor has ramped up / coolant has warmed up and then put up the fan to compensate automatically. (no fault found).