eBay Repair manual CD sets - are they any good

Page 1 of 2
Anyone had any experience with repair manual CD sets (TIS, ETK, KDS, ETM) that are on offer at eBay? Are they any good? I have E21, and I was wondering if these CD-s are usable for me, as Mobile traditions CD for E21
at dealer is $100, and I could get this CD set at eBay for $20-30.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

I bought a set for my 318ti and after I received them I tried to install them on my computer, One of the disks I couldn't install. And I think one or more key disks may be missing. I spent several hours trying to find things and look up maintenance procedures, etc. Really poor access routines.I finally just gave up. I think they were written for Windows 95 or earlier and I think the seller is dumping a bunch of obsolete items. I suppose we get what we pay for ($20 worth). Hey, you cant hardly have a restaurnat dinner for that.
Fritz Wagner

Win 95/8.
--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Don't think they go back as far as an E21.
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Nedavno Dave Plowman (News) pise:
| > Anyone had any experience with repair manual CD sets (TIS, ETK, KDS, | > ETM) that are on offer at eBay? Are they any good? I have E21, and | > I was wondering if these CD-s are usable for me, as Mobile | > traditions CD for E21 at dealer is $100, and I could get this CD | > set at eBay for $20-30. | | Don't think they go back as far as an E21.
Actually I have E30, but taxes here were 180% (not a mistake) for engines over 1.6 liters so BMW for my country (and Greece I think) put an 1.6 engine instead of 1.8. Now I think that that engine is from e21.
And some sellers on eBay did indicate that Mobile traditions (for e21 and more) is included.
They also indicate that any Windows is supported (95/98, NT, Me, 2000, XP).
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

real BMW discs, not pirated copies. I installed them (with a bit of clarification information from the seller) on WinXP and although I agree that finding what you want and the navigation of the tool is awful, I have found it useful overall.
Jon
I bought a set a few years ago and at first couldn't get it to load. I go it off of ebay. It has a price feature which I never got to work at all, ever. Eventually, I go it to work after tinkering around and now I use it all the time to see what BMW would do to fix your car. All said and done, it is certainly useful if you do a lot of diy stuff. Wish I could get the "pris" feature to work, though.

Nedavno william piccione pise:
| I bought a set a few years ago and at first couldn't get it to load. | I go it off of ebay. It has a price feature which I never got to | work at all, ever. Eventually, I go it to work after tinkering | around and now I use it all the time to see what BMW would do to fix | your car. All said and done, it is certainly useful if you do a lot | of diy stuff. Wish I could get the "pris" feature to work, though.
I just bought 6 CD set for $17 (including shipping to eastern Europe). When it gets hire I'll report if it works, and how useful it is.
--
___ ____
Nedavno Yvan pise:
| I just bought 6 CD set for $17 (including shipping to eastern Europe). | When it gets hire I'll report if it works, and how useful it is.
CD-s are here. How useful they are? I have to play a bit longer, I just installed it yesterday, so it's too soon to tel. I have XP, CD-s came with installation instructions (you have to install some sort of control center, and from there ETK, TIS...) So what I got works with XP.
I have e30, and repair manual for that model is not covering is not covering a lot of repair jobs. Perhaps for later models is a better situation, but for e30 - it is almost useless (or it may be I am still to discover how to use CD-s properly).
I am having some carburetor (I think) problems, but I did not found much that helps. It seems that I'll have to buy (another) carburetor manual (Haynes one does not include the one I have - I found that after I bought it, but is very detailed on how carburetor should operate). Now I have to buy manual in German. That will be fun, as I knew only few German words :-)
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

The price list isn't included on the ETK. It's a separate file - obvious since they're likely to need updating more frequently than the main software.
--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Nedavno Dave Plowman (News) pise:
| The price list isn't included on the ETK. It's a separate file - | obvious since they're likely to need updating more frequently than | the main software.
Can you get it on-line somewhere?
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Why? It is nice to have the current price list but isn't it better to call you local dealer to see $$$ or if in stock first. Although I can get a current UK price list it is no good for USA, France, Germany, China etc.
Hugh
Sir Hugh of Bognor
Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!
Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bb-trading-uk.com snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk http://www.bognor-bill.co.uk Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ -------------------------------------------------
Nedavno snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk pise:
| >Can you get it on-line somewhere? | | Why? It is nice to have the current price list but isn't it better to | call you local dealer to see $$$£££ or if in stock first. Although I | can get a current UK price list it is no good for USA, France, | Germany, China etc.
My local dealer (actually there are only two in my state and three in the country (Serbia & Montenegro) is not very friendly. The one I was going to from day one when I bought my BMW in 1987 now refuse's to service my car because I did a LPG conversion.
Price list would be nice so I can make a decision whether to buy original part from dealer or to look at local wreck yards to see if I can find used but good one. For instance a new distributor for my car at dealer is ~£270. A bit too much for a 18 years old car. But some parts are not so expensive so I can buy new ones. Prices for UK are OK, I can see price difference for a few parts, and then calculate price for the part I need.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
pise:

RealOEM.com ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do ) gives what has been fairly accurate prices in my experience. The prices seem to be listed in US$, but you could probably figure out the conversion for your country and have a good idea of your cost.
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i
Nedavno Kyle and Lori Greene pise:
| RealOEM.com ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do ) gives what has | been fairly accurate prices in my experience.
Thank you.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

.I sell these on Ebay (as do others) and have had nothing but Excellent feedback from my customers.
I ship all over the world and lots have gone to the US. It is probably the way I present the CDs and the exact installation detail if followed to the letter there are absolutely no problems. However one of the CDs takes about an hour to load all the data. If you think you know better than me and try to install in any other folder than the default one it will NEVER install.
If you want to talk more or buy (this is NOT and advert or an offer) go to Ebay and search for item #8020889174
Hugh
Sir Hugh of Bognor
Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!
Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bb-trading-uk.com snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk http://www.bognor-bill.co.uk Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ -------------------------------------------------
Nedavno snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk pise:
| If you want to talk more or buy (this is NOT and advert or an offer) | go to Ebay and search for item #8020889174
Bought one 6CD set already from eBay US for £10.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Now you can say that they are good and do a fair job of informing one of the BMW range.
The 6 x CD range is good value as it also contains (or should do) the complete electrical wiring diagrams however, these are normally on DVD.
Here in the UK many folk are cheap skates and will not pay for time and effort and added value.
If you are happy then OK but others don't get what they expect and castigate the whole CD thing when in reality they don't bother to read the instructions.
Hugh