Service manual's on CD (via eBay) - any good?

Has anyone purchased any of the Jeep service manuals that are on CD. Lots listed on eBay and a lot cheaper than the paper version. Are they a copy of the real manual or some cheap look alike? Paul D

Reply to
ppdavid

They're most likely a bootleg copy of Mitchell On Demand. They *usually* work (not always), but if you have any problems, you won't get any support because they're illegal copies. I got a CD from some guy selling as 'yuhiro2004' on eBay and when I asked him about the legality of selling bootleg software, the turd threatened me.

If you want illegal software, you can get it yourself on various newsgroups. No metter where you get bootleg stuff, beware of viruses. Id ask the seller if the manual is on a CDR. That's a sure sign of something fishy since real retailers can make copies of CD's in bulk a lot cheaper then cdr's.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They're ok but not all that useful when you're actually down and dirty working on your Jeep. Being able to flip around in the book to find different sections with dirty greasy hands when you unexpectedly need additional information is far better than running into the house to find and then wait for the printer to print out another batch of pages.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Any idea where I could get these for early 1980s CJs?

Reply to
Ken Finney

And on the flip side of that---

They are useful, you can use the feature of adobe 6 to search for a keyword across all of the pdf, read what you need and know that you did not miss anything stray. Print just what you need (if you need) get them as greasey as you want. When you are done throw the pages away. You never have to carefully flip through pages of a book using dirty hands trying to keep finger prints off a book again.

I really like having manuals in PDF format. Now is there one for a 83 CJ?

Reply to
Rusted

listed on eBay and a

some cheap look alike?

I went & got one for my 03TJ, it looks like a factory manual to me, every thing is there. I started to print the whole thing out just to have a hard copy in the garage when needed but it started to get to be too expensive what with the amount of ink not to mention the time it was taking so I just did the sections I thought I would need & if there's something I have planed I make sure it's printed out.

L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

Where did you get your manual (er CD)? I had been looking for an actual book for my '02TJ but couldn't find one (never did go to the dealership directly though).

The Cd IS cheaper....but to be quickly usable it needs to be on paper. How many pages is it? check with a print shop. It'll probably end up costing more than the manual itself...colour pages too?!

Lots listed on eBay and a

or some cheap look alike?

thing is there.

garage when needed

there's something

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your link didn't work....tried

and it came up alright (just had to search.).

They have diagnostics manuals....is the stuff in these included in teh service manuals?

SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Firefox is nice.

Dave Milne

I got mine from someone on Ebay but it's been so long, let me do some checking tonight after I get home from work, maybe I can find the sellers name if I dig into "my ebay" deep enough. The CD itself definitely does not look "Official" but the contents do. black on white, no color

L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

Thanks Bill, I have no 'GREAT' issues currently. Just sorta planning ahead. My fuel guage has played a couple tricks in the past 5months. It's only done this twice....upon starting the TJ (2002 btw!), I may not notice it right away but when I do, the fuel guage is indicating empty and the fuel light is on. I just turn off the engine and restart and it has corrected itself so far. No consistancy with respect to temps/humidity or recent mud bogging and after washing....

It's not even an nuisance right now since it's only happened a couple of times and has been correctable.

i know guys (mikeR) have talked about the grounding and the dash connector. But this is the only gauge on the dash that does this. So, I'm not sure! No engine light comes or anything....

tips?!

thanks again

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill.

Reply to
SteveBrady

Ask the seller (if you care) if the CD offered is an authorized copy. In my experience, there is a lot of pirated material offered on CDROMs on Ebay. It bugs me to see people ask for money for things they don't own.

Brian

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III