front ABS brake caliper piston retract

Page 2 of 2
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's not why I asked...

The (meager) evidence I've gathered is that it's the ZF that's less reliable.

Are you implying there's a difference in reliability between Steptronic and non Steptronic autos? Would seem unlikely to me since it's only a change to the control gear.

Some early 4 speed ZF did fail early when subjected to a US emission test which IIRC involved prolonged revving in neutral. But think this was fixed by the time the 5-speed arrived. Only 'straw poll' I have is that the 5HP19 as fitted to my 528 doesn't go for much on Ebay - so there can't be much of a demand.
--
*That's it! Im calling grandma!

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I don't know that's the case. I think that Step=ZF. Maybe.

In the UK Steptronic was an option with the ZF box. I thought the same applied to the GM in the US.
--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

AFAIK, it was an abrupt switch, on a per-model basis. Up to a certain time, if you got an auto with a certain model, it was not a Step, with no "add Step option" available. The Step auto was phased-in, not coincidentally about the same time that ZF was phased-in.

I have a fairly early E39 - '97 - and that has Steptronic. Think it was an option here from release. Of course in the UK there were base models not available in other countries - and plenty of those don't have Steptronic.
I thought all 6 cylinder E39s started off with the GM transmission in the US.
--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it had a GM then it was not a Step. That's my theory that I think it true.
Any USA early E39 owners care to chime-in?
Jane Earnshaw wrote:

As said, it just shoves back in but the recommended way of doing ABS equipped cars is to open the bleed nipple and force the fluid out of there rather than back through the master cylinder. Also makes it easier to push back in by hand, though an assistant is helpful to stop you drawing air back into the system.
--
Scott

As others have suggested, use a C clamp and screw the clamp down on the piston top to settle it back down into the shell (brake housing we say in the colonies).
The brake fluid squeezed it down that way as the brake pad linings wore away from use.
Sooooooo ... you have to give the brake fluid a place to go back up the pipe it came back down (some people loosen the brake fluid filler cap), and drain out ALL the old brake fluid.
Flush out the system, the pipes and all down to the refurbished brake shoes ... it is full of dirt and rust, makes for pitting in the master cylinder miles later ... so use DOT 3 or what ever BMW recommendes as brake fluid ... get a whole liter or quart ... save off what you expend and recycle it. Rather toxic so be mindful.
Go slow, don't scratch things, clean it up nicely, and follow the steps in the shop manual you zeroxed out of the public library ... and it will do rather nicely.
Penny wise is dollar foolish on a BMW ... so use good parts and use all the BMW stuff they say to use or better if it is on the shelf.
Sumbuddie hopes this helps
:?