How to - Activate multifunction wheel for bluetooth calling?

Hi,

I have a 2003 plate bmw 318i SE with multifunction steering wheel. There are about 8 buttons on the wheel, two of which are: R/T and a face with sound waves projecting.

I do not have any other buttons around the dashboard or autobox which are related to handsfree bluetooth phone functionality.

As I understand it the activation of bluetooth functionality is not standard, but can be performed afterwards by an engineer.

Is this possible/ expensive? Is the sound quality good at both ends? Can any mechanic perform the install, ie is it software related or do you need extra buttons/ cabling?

Thanks for your help

========================== ==========================

Reply to
richie

"richie" wrote

Not sure how the UK/EU cars are configured. However, it's likely that you will need to buy the Bluetooth kit (transmitter/receiver/microphone) and get it installed. Over here in the US, they're around $500 and take a couple of hours to install.

Have a look at:

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

That's about it - get the kit and the face with sound waves is for the voice operated stuff like the phone. 2003 was a bit early for std fitment but the new E65 from 2005 August build has Bluetooth as standard.

Reply to
hsg