Internal heater fan not working.

'97 528i E39. Fan working this morning. Failed to come on when car was restarted this afternoon after standing for about 4 hours. Any ideas of where to look for the fault appreciated.
I'm not too clued up when it comes to electrics. TIA. Mike.

99.9% the final stage resistor. Which is rather more than just a resistor.
It's situated between the heater and the bulkhead in the cool airstream. You need to remove the cover above the steering column (RHD) and then the carpet trim down the side of the gearbox tunnel to access it. It's a bit of a fiddle to get at if you've got carrots for fingers and a stiff back. ;-) There's a clip which needs to be pressed before it comes out - all you can see at first is the plug. Costs approx 70 quid from a dealer - but try Eurocarparts etc first.
--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Cheers Dave. But I'll try GSF first, as they have a branch about 20 miles away. Near enough for me to pick up if they have one in stock. They don't list it on their website, but I've bought unlisted parts from them in the past, so I'll give them a ring in the morning.
I assume I've found the right part on the Eurocarparts site. 49.50 plus VAT and postage.
Also sounds like my big hands with fingers like sausages might be a disadvantage. :-(
Sods law I suppose that it decides to pack on the friday afternoon of a bank holiday weekend. Too late to buy the part and fix it for this weekend, unless GSF have one in stock. Mike.
My guess is the resistor pack.
As I recall, you get to it from the passenger side foot well. It has eithe one or two screws to hold it in place.
Buy a new one, and look for the old one.

"Passenger Side" foot well is relative, I assumed a USA car. Sorry. I'm still on the resistor pack, but I don't know if it changes sides in a metric car.

It's a UK car, so I've no doubt Daves info is accurate. Sounds like he's done the job on his own 528i. Which is only a year or so younger than mine. Mike.

'Metric'? The 'home' of metric tends to be Europe and all of Europe except the UK is LHD.
And why do you even think such a thing would change sides with RHD?
--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

I've never heard the term 'metric car' before. AFAIC, metric is a measuring system based on the metre. Mike.

That's Colony Humor, Dave.
Technically, the "home" of metric is pretty much anyplace that is not the USA. America is not unique in its refusal to go metric, but there are far more places that are metric than use fractions.
I can't imagine the location of the resistor pack would change, but I have no actual knowledge that it does not change, so the OP has to adjust what I had told him to suit his reality.

Right. It near always needs explaining. Although it might work rather better about a car that didn't originate as LHD - and is totally metric. ;-)

The UK is officially metric, but we still use miles per gallon when talking fuel consumption and feet and inches when describing someone's height. Even although imperial hasn't been taught in schools for many a year.

It's actually more awkward on a RHD car because the steering column is in the way - and the cover above it is much more difficult to remove than the one above the passenger well.
--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Really! I thought you used 100Km/L, or whatever. I didn't know you used MPG. I also did not know you used ft/in to describe the stature of a person, I expected CM.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Nedavno Jeff Strickland napisa:

It's liters per 100 kilometer [lit/100km]. I believe that US and Imperial gallons are not the same (someone will correct me if I am wrong):
10 lit/100km = 28.25 mpg (Imperial) = 23.52 mpg (US)
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

You are correct, a US gallon and an Imperial gallon are not the same.

5 imperial gallons = 6 US gallons (close enough)
The difference was brought about by taxation of "George?" who realised if you called the measure the same name but made the standard smaller you - the people - would have to buy more "gallons" to get the same quantity as before.
So where you were buying say 5 gallons of imperial liquid measure for say $5 now you would have to buy 6 gallons to get the same amount costing you $6. As duty or tax increased per gallon so the gov' got about 20% more. Hence the Independence Day 6/4/1776.
Funnily enough we quote MPG (imp) but buy fuel in Litres. Our currency is decimal. Road distance is signposted in miles my Sat Nav give me distances in Miles. My Speedo is in Miles but it has to have KPH shown by law yet Euro cars do not have to have MPH shown.
Speed limits are posted in MPH and the Highway Code (driving manual for rules of the road for all road users) gives braking distances in Feet and inches/yards + metres and other measurements are duplicated.
Tape measures have feet and inches + metres and centimeters etc yet I go to Spain and can only get metric measures.
I will stick my neck out and say that I recon 100% of all vehicles built within the last 10 years (or maybe 20) have metric fastenings( nuts, bolts etc).
Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Both are commonly used. Academics almost invariably quote distances or a persons hight in metres. Ie, 1.828 metres for someone 6ft tall, whereas Joe Public still uses feet and inches.
It's a similar story when it comes to someones weight. Academics tend to use Kg, most of the rest of us still use stones and pounds.
Containers of milk come in multiples of pints, but it's sold in litres. Like a 2.272 litre container, telling you it's 4 pints on the label.
We're supposed to have converted to metric, but we haven't really. We just have two systems in use now instead of one. :-) Mike.

You mean that there really is an alternative reality as in Stargate SG-1?
Actually it has been known for manufacturers to mirror image dash construction for LHD/RHD vehicles and even transfer the foot brake arrangements to LHD/RHD by fitting a dammed great twisting tube from the right side brake pedal to the left side fitted hydraulics.
One time the Olds Toronardo FWD juggernaut was changed to RHD by fitting a chain drive to the LHD steering shaft that was cut off as it went into the bulkhead and the wheel assembly was fitted on brackets on the right hand side - brakes were modified as before.
Never really caught on here in the UK and other marques that drive on the left still regard the US cars etc as authentic with LHD.
Rudd Speed did a RHD Mustang conversion using a UK Ford Zephyr steering box and modified drop linkage but I believe RHD versions were made in a Canadian factory as I had a six pot '66 Mustang Conv' that was all factory.
Many of the LHD Fords were converted in Australia and built there and several companies imported the Aussie parts to convert US cars for the UK market.
Just my 2p worth.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor