Need good input on tires

Page 1 of 3
The Continental tires on my 323 still have good tread but I'm sick of the crummy things. Wheels need balancing, but I'm not gonna bother, just get new
tires. Continental tires apparently behave extremely poorly on wet roads while going around curves. Mine have been so bad that I almost wonder how they could be legally sold in America. A tire guy told me right after I bought them that they were terrible in the rain...he spoke the gospel!
What should I get? I'm not a hell driver in the beamer, but not an old lady either....average middle-aged driver I guess. I'm thinking of buying at Big 10 Tires. They sold me a great set of cheap tires for my old car, and they still don't need balancing after several years. I know you can't go wrong with Michelin, but pricey. How about Bridgestone? I've been to the Big 10 site and that seems to be their major brands for "regular" tires.
Rudy wrote:

Keep it under 60 and tire quality doesn't mean a thing. Just buy the cheapest.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:16:34 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Stupid response! If the guy was in Euroland (inc UK) it would be illegal apart from being totally reckless and stupid.
Oh! I forgot you are in the US so please carry on and kill yourself along with several innocent bystanders or other drivers when you decide that you are late one day and start driving at 100 mph and the tires disintegrate.
Buy tires that match the max speed of the car or buy a car that matches your wallet.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Have you ever driven a car? Do you even know what a car is?
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:03:56 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Brain into gear Spammer
message

Perhaps so, but I have it impossible to keep my BMW going that slow.
My car came with Pirelli, but they were not satisfactory. I replace the original tires with Michelin.
Jim
Jim wrote:

Which model.

In what way ?

Most ppl would see that as a serious step backwards.
Graham
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:27:51 GMT, Eeyore

You can't generalize like that between manufacturers. Tire quality is very model -- and sometimes even size -- specific.
And while I have always loved high-performance Pirellis for their wet weather performance and currently have them on two of my three cars, I would say that "most people" favor Michelin over Pirelli. Pirelli is very little known among the general public.
-- Larry

The all season type (don't remember the exact model).

Excessive noise that sounded like bad spots on one or more tires. One tire delaminated at 20000 miles. It had tread separation. The replacement Michelin are noise free.

Not if their Pirellis delaminated during a long trip where the car sometimes reached 80 mph. It certainly is hard to keep the car at the speed limit. I am not interested in risking tire problems at such speeds. Neither of these sets of tires are performance models; I would expect to performance tires to need replacement at about that mileage. Jim

My 740i runs on Pirelli P6000 and no problems even at 60 and 155 but I always keep it below 140 when wet.
On Jun 10, 4:16 pm, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Fuck off troll, or at least confine your trolling to threads where there's no risk of anyone actually following your advice.
nate
N8N wrote:

HAHAHA. Did a ruin your day again?? HAHA
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

No, but following your advice could certainly ruin someone's day.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have no input on Big 10... I share your opinion of Continentals, I had a set stock on my GTI 1.8T and I don't understand what posessed VW to put rolling bricks like those on a supposedly "sporty" car. I often inadvertantly chirped the tires backing out of parking spaces, they were that pathetic. wet, dry, it didn't matter, they sucked. I replaced them with Michelin Pilots and couldn't be happier.
If you don't want to spend the $$$ for Michelins, I've heard that Kelly-Springfield makes a decent "bargain" tire. Can't be any worse than Contis, anyway, and they're a lot cheaper. I have had good luck with Kumhos as well.
nate

I'd recommend checking out the Tire Rack web site. They have comparative road tests on most of the tires (and they often use the 3 series for the comparisons). Also user reviews/ratings.
http://www.tirerack.com /
I put Pirelli P-zero Neros on my 5er. Reasonable price, the promise of good durability, and some good past experiences with their product. Good (not great) grip and excellent in the rain.
Bridgestone makes an excellent tire. Also the Goodyear F-1 D3 has gotten great reviews.
R / John
Rudy wrote:

I replaced the overpriced Michelin Pilot Sports with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. The performance was marginally better (the Pilots are already great!) and the wear was reduced significantly. Wet traction also seemed better but it's difficult to compare new tires to the old ones at that point. No snow here so that wasn't a factor for me. These were on my '02 330i w/sport package and 19" wheels. I saved $100 per tire but still dropped $1000 with installation, etc.
Dan

You don't say which Continental tires you have on your 323. Are they performance or so-called "all-season" or touring tires? It can make a big difference.
The Conti SportContact2 performance tires on my E46 are wonderful in the rain as were the OEM Conti SportContacts, but if you want to switch brands, try the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Of course all of these are unsuitable for snow & ice if that's an issue where you live.
Tom K.

Seconded. I have Conti Sport Contacts all round on my 528i E39. IMO they are excellent tyres in the wet or dry. They'll be replaced by the same when the time comes. Mike.
"Tom K." wrote

Agreed. I had CSC2 on my A4 and I thought they were very nice, very well balanced. Not top of the line performance, but close. Bridgestone S03 was a tiny bit better in the dry and wet, but S03 was also hard as a rock. If you drive on roads that are less than perfect, stay away from S03. CSC2 is way more comfy and quiet, while giving up very little in the performance department. Definitely a good wet weather performer. I am hoping to get the CSC3 for my e39 when the current crappy Dunlops (SP Maxx) wear out.
Pete

I think the ones I had on my GTI were "Touring Contact" and they blew dead goats. I honestly think that General tires would have been an improvement. I can't believe that those things were legal, they were that dangerous.
nate