Need good input on tires

Page 2 of 3
Pete wrote:

The regular ContiSport Contacts are OK in the rain and I would not hesitate to buy them again were the price right.
The Michelin PS that came as OEM on my 330i PP are slightly better both wet and dry. But both are good-to-great dry road tires IMO.
My new PS2s seem to stick as well or better than the PS's did dry. They are supposed to be better in the wet. We'll see. However, they provide far more steering feedback than the PS's (good!) and tramline less (also good but less important to me).
JRE
Rudy wrote:

The best feeling tires I've tried so far are Falkens. Its like the difference between walking around in a stiff leather dress shoe and jumping around in sneakers. I mean they just grip the road and don't slip at all. Not bad in price either.
GK
Rudy:

First off, ignore anything that someone who calls themself "Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS," says. That screen name should tell you all you need to know about it.
As for the tires, I'm not familiar with Continental, but in my experiences, I have found Kelly-Springfield, Cooper and BF Goodrich to be decent tires that are reasonablly priced. Michelin and Goodyear are also good, but pricier.
IMNSHO, stay away from Firestone. My first two Tauruses had "Firestone Supremes," as OEM and they were a royal pain; they would last about 25000 miles or so before they would start to seperate. Switched the cars to other brands (the Kelly-Springfield for one and Cooper for the other) and never had to buy a tire for either of those two again.
necromancer
Rudy wrote:

First off you need to get rid of the attitude.
Graham

How laughable, coming from this troll!
Floyd

Yeah; you *can* go wrong with Michelin. Ask anyone who ever had them about TRX tires ...
I'm not too enthralled with Bridgestone's quality, although I've had some very good ones. I do like Yokohamas a lot. Both are available through Tire Rack, which is my #1 choice for all tires on vehicles I really care about. Go shopping (lotsa' tools like specs and consumer surveys as well as independent tests there) at www.tirerack.com and then pick up the phone to order. Tell your sales rep that a BMW E28 guy - who was there at South Bend last summer - sent you. -- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that - for years
E28 Guy wrote:

Were you there for the One Lap or just because? I remember either last year or the year before I happened to be in SB for the annual Studebaker swap meet and saw lots of pretty go-fast machinery driving around, apparently the One Lap was kicking off that weekend. I'll be up there again next week; this year the SDC International meet is being held in SB, but I won't be there all week (got this nasty Real Job thing, you know...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I was there for BMW "5er Fest" over Memorial Day weekend. A celebration of all things E28 ... and E12 for those few diehards who still like the original 5er. Tire Rack was and is a sponsor of our event. We may welcome later series 5ers in the future, but I'm in no hurry. We had ~130 cars in Chattanooga last month. -- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that
What do you guys who choose nyms based on the car you currently own do when you trade that car in on a new one? Will you still be "E28 Guy" when you're driving around in that Toyota Sienna youe wife made you buy because you had another kid? :)
--
MFFYCam Videos Galore: http://www.geocities.com/mffycam /

Scott en Aztln wrote:

If you knew anything about BMWs or the newsgroup you would know that an E28 is already a very old "5 series" model (4 models past) and that it isn't likely that "E28 Guy" will *ever* get rid of his car.
The other notable thing is that not every man is a slave to his wife as you apparently are. I for one never let my wife dictate what cars I bought and we raised 3 kids. Maybe if she actually knew anything about cars I may have included her in the decision making.
The idea that one *needs* a minivan because they have 2 or more kids is ludicrous. Kids are small and pack up quite compactly. Oh, and my wife doesn't get to tell me to lay off the malt either... ;-)
--
-Fred W

said in rec.autos.driving:

-----
I was wondering how long this would take to show up. There's always one in the group. My wife bought a BMW BECAUSE I had one. I drive the older one, too. She got a 5er with the intent of having rear seat space for a child, which we don't have. Screw the minivan/SUV in this age of high gas prices. The cost/benefit and "perceived" safety just isn't there, either. It's just American "I need a big honkin' ride to obstruct other driver's view" thinking. Don't get me wrong, there are times when these vehicles are useful, but single-passenger, daily-driver is NOT one of them. Get a BMW and enjoy it. They get better gas mileage than you think, for the 6 cyl, and still have a lot of pep. Get one a couple of years old, drop the heavy insurance and car payment, and enjoy the $40k car for less than the price of a new car. If done right, it's a no-brainer.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Fred
I agree - Why buy a dog and bark yourself.

True. Some men are single.
said in rec.autos.driving:

Don't get laid much, eh Fred?
R / John

Eh! Don't quite get that bit John. Either you have had a bad experience or you haven't met someone as randy, sexy and gagging for it as my wife (#2 I add as the first was a bit like the subject in question so --------- bye bye miss awful pie hello Ferrari Testrarossa..............................
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:19:12 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I guess you love and respect your wife an awful lot, if you tell the world about her in those terms.
It takes all sorts, I suppose...
--
Dan.

But you don't know me or my wife so either I'm lying (no) or you're just guessing.
But to answer you observations she is sweet, kind, and very pretty and above all a really NICE person.
She works at a local school and often comes home telling me some of the older boys ask her out - she must be that nice for 18 year olds to ask my wife out!!!!!
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:57:17 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Yes, and she's a cock-hungry cum-guzzler as well. Isn't that what you said, twice now? Where's the misunderstanding?
I'd be careful letting her out on her own if I were you.
--
Dan.

John Carrier wrote:

More than I want, John.