New BMW Looks

Page 2 of 3

Guess it depends on what you like. I didn't really like the look of the E90 when I first saw it, but it started to wear on me and now I can't believe I didn't like it from the start. Look at one in your rear view mirror and that front end looks awesome. The only problem I ever really had was with the back and I still think they could have done better, but it fits.
Not to mention the E90 is a much better car all the way around.
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:20:36 +0000, Jack Dotson wrote:

In what ways, exactly, is it "much better"?

Faster, handles better, more room in cabin and trunk, more comfortable, etc.
Start with the 3.0 engine in all models and go from there. The new 325i has about as much power as old 330i and is about the size of the old 5 series. But still handles like a 3, and better than the last generation.
Some may not like the dash lay out, but it works. Ergonomics are great, but now there is good access for driver and passenger. If they sacrificed the drivers accessibility I wouldn't like it, but the didn't.
I personally don't see how more interior space could ever be a problem, especially when we're talking about a sedan, and considering it handles better than the last model. Could that huge trunk be a bad thing? More leg room for the passengers?
Looks are subjective, but the new 3's are flying off the lots. Why, because they have managed to give the consumer the best of both worlds. Fun, performance, convenience and comfort in the 3.
There are numerous reviews where the author compares the new to the old, a quick search and you can easily find many comparisons. You will quickly see that these are not only my observations, but every single review seems to think the new 3's are much better as well.
It's a great car. You don't like the looks, I do. You don't like that they made it bigger? Then there is always the new 1 series. Maybe this is why they came out with the 1 at the same time?
Bravo BMW for making the best 3 ever!!
Jack Dotson wrote:

Barely. Not enough to notice.

Says who? I think it's more ponderous, and I don't like having to use run-flats.

What about the down-side of that increased size?

Pfftt.. Bullshit it is.

What's with that stupid "stick the thingy in the dash then press this button" business, anyway? <sarcasm>That's a real improvement.</sarcasm>
It is not faster. Check the buff book numbers on the new 330i vs. the E46 zhp and the zhp was slightly faster. The extra horses must be very small ponies indeed.
For that matter, the IS350 with auto leaves the 330i for dead in a straight line,even with a manual.

Torque is the same even though efficiency and HP are up.
So is weight and cross-sectional area.

Even sillier would be to claim we said the E46 is superior. Mechanically it may or may not be, but it certainly IS better looking. Beauty being subjective, of course.

So did the Pacer and Chevette when first released. Mind you, I'm not degrading the E90 in terms of technical refinement. We would have bought one had we been able to get past the looks. But after five months of "letting it grow on us", it just wasn't going to happen.
I did do my research. I spend far too much time with my nose in car books. I repeat, the E46 zhp 330i is quicker than the new (higher hp) 330i. It's just reality. C&D got mid-5's out of a zhp. E90 330i's test out at 6 sec +/- a tenth or two.
Handling I will not argue since I am not sure, but I would be surprised if a zhp were not better than a E90 330i. But, I may be wrong. One of these days I'll drop down at a BMW dealer, close my eyes while I climb into an E90 and take it for a spin...just to see what there is to see. Also be interesting to see if the downgrade of interior materials is as noticeable as at least one reviewer has noted.
I don't know who the "many" you are talking about are, but it's not the car buff reviewers and no BMW drivers I am aware of. Maybe Infiniti dealers? The only time a G35 ever beat an E46 in a comparison test was if they had a price limit and a 325 was up against a 330i. That's overall. The G35 always beat the E46 3-series in acceleration...and still does with the E90 series. The G35 is up around 300 hp now and close to M3 country in that regard. It's in handling/fun to drive/styling (sedan)/and interior design that the BMW was always better. I tested a G35 sedan when I was shopping and it was a very nice sedan...almost as nice as an E46 as long as you were not serious about the "sport" in sport sedan, but not quite there. Plus it was homely by comparison. Thanks to Bangle the homely by comparison issue is not what it was.
Glad you like the E90. I hope lots of others buy them, too so BMW can stay profitable until Bangle disappears and a competent stylist replaces him. So some day I can replace my E46 with a new 3-Series that does not make me shake my head in disbelief when I look at it.
Cheers.
- GRL

From your mouth to God's ears.
I agree completely. I have a 2003 zhp and try as I might, I just cannot warm to the E90. Best I can manage is when looking at it from a distance it looks OK, but them I focus on the details like the stupid "flame" line on the side or the squashed bug look of the rear quarter or the awkward face and all appeal disappears. I walk up to my red 2003 and it's always a pleasure to look at it. With an E90 it would always be a shaking of the head getting more and more pronounced the closer one comes.
My advice, pick up a last year E46 equipped just like you want and keep it ten years. Eventually Bangle will be booted out and they will go back to handsome styling. The Germans are stubborn and slow to admit a mistake, so it will take a while. Just wait it out.
What a waste of good engineering.
- nopcbs

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:17:23 -0800, "GLitwinski"

I've got to agree. I drive an '02 E39. When it came time for my wife to get a new car, she just couldn't make herself like the E90. She's now got an '05 330Ci convertible with the performance package.
That E46 puts any E90 to shame in the looks department. A pity.

OTOH, compared to EVERY BMW introduced over the last few years (Z-series, 7, 6, 5, the half-truck/half-touring SUV's) the E-90 isn't half bad. Scary the when we talk of new BMW's that we remark, "Well, they didn't screw it up TOO bad."
When the new 5er was ramping up for production and I had to replace my totaled E39, I scoured the southeast to find an '03 530i SP 5sp. I managed to secure one of three cars that met my desires. Maybe by the time I'm ready to replace it, the Bangle era will have ended and we'll regain styling and ergonomics that befit the ultimate sport sedan.
R / John

Already does. You guys like your old cars, cool, that's a good thing. However, I can assure you there are many loyal E90 drivers on the road. I say way to go BMW, the new 3 is absolutely awesome. Perfect and better in almost every way, including the mean looking front end.
SNIP

I've driven the E90 and rather like the looks. It's the first new bimmer I would consider purchasing. But I so love the E39, the only real drivers would be the more powerful engine (We'll hope the mag core block retains the BMW six cylinder's bulletproof nature) and 6sp vice 5. I'd love to have another 30 horses and an overdrive trans with a shorter rear end to add just a bit of performance. I think BMW will take the new engine to 3.5 liters eventually, if there's room between the bores.
R / John

Nicely put.

We can only hope. My future holds an M3. I shudder to think of it being an E90, and low-mileage E46's may be more scarce by then.

Thankfully for some reason the E46 M3 has not been subjected to the front end treatment of the rest of the range got in 2003. I think they really spoilt the elegance of the car.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:47:45 +0000 (UTC), "David Haggas"

The E46 with the Performance Package has the same front end as the M3.
Thankfully.

Presumably equivalent to our "sport" in the UK. Here, unfortunately, it has the same front as the lesser models. Only M3's are as original.