Good GM cars last 5 years?

What are good reliable,reasonable to maintain GM cars over the last 5 years. My daily driver is a 1981 Ford Fairmont that I have used daily for the last 24 years and managed to maintain. It is now beginning to show its age and I guess it is now time to be preparing to replace it. Is a Lummina a reliable vehicle?

Your input much appreciated.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Lumina or not does not matter. What does matter is the engine. Get something with the 3.8. Stay away from the 60 degree engines (3.4, etc.). Do a google search on engines vs. manifold leaks.

Reply to
PAuL

Keep the Fairmont. Especially stay away from anything with a

2.8/3.1/3.4 engine, 3.8 ONLY for GM cars. But I think you will find that the Lumina is not as refined nor does it handle as well as a Fairmont, almost inevitably as the Fairmont is a RWD platform.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

To each their own, but I like my Lumina's. And the 3.8 motor isn't bulletproof either, it too had upper intake manifold (and lower gasket) issues just like the 3100 did.

Follow your own advice and do a google search, check the bonnie forums.

Nevermind, I'll do it for you:

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

If like old-people looking cars and aren't embarassed easily.

Reply to
Coffee Lover

Yes, I am quite aware of the problems with the 3.8. However, it has never been as bad as the 60 series. IMO, all engines with wet manifolds will eventually leak. Some sooner than others. The only real problem the 3.8 had was the EGR pipe.

Reply to
PAuL

The supercharged version of the 3800 has less problems, and an additional 40 horses...Only drawback is it has to run on 91 octane.

Reply to
80 Knight

My Grandparents bought a 1997 Lumina back in '98, and they love it. I even borrow it every now and then. My cousin also had a 1999 (or so) for a few years. It rides better then my Bonnie SSEi, get's awesome gas mileage, though the 3100 isn't very peppy. But, the interior is huge, as is the trunk, and it handles pretty good for a family sedan. If I were you, I would definitely add Lumina to the list. Other GM cars I have owned and liked are the Grand Prix's. They are more sporty, can be had with the 3800 (though, so can the Lumina), and if you get one totally equipped, they are luxury. Same with the Bonneville's. I have owned 4 Bonnie's, and loved everyone of them.

Reply to
80 Knight

You are out of luck, GM no longer makes the Lamina ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What a sad commentary to have to ask such a question, and nobody has a good answer for you!!!! LOL

Check out Toyota or some other quality car manufacturer.

Really.....

Reply to
Bob Bitchin

True, last model year for the Lumina was 2001, and that was rental fleet fodder (as the "Classic" aka Malibu is now).

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

It is shocking with all the new cars on the road to read these posts. Hard to believe that there are few good North American cars. The Fairmont has been and outstanding vehicle.It is 26 years old. The body needs yearly repairs.

Cars are much more expensive then what I paid for my Fairmont 24 years ago ( $5,500 ) and they can't make a comparable engine with all the brains and computers we are made to believe designers are supposing to have today.

I'm beginning to understand why there are so many import cars on the roads.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

I think the current Impala is Lumina-based, yes? It certainly rides and handles like it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Same body (W-Body) but obviously redesigned and new/different engines, the Lumina never had the Impala's generation 3.4 motor (yes, the Lumina had a 3.4 motor, just not in 2000+) the Impala has a wider wheelbase, is taller, and wider. Of course if I were to go for an Impala, I'd be looking at the LS trim package at a minimum.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Our friend has that Lumina, which I drive when she takes us to the airport. It runs OK, but what an old feeling car compared to my '95 Chrysler LH car. She has had many minor problems though, just a steady stream of them. When I looked at the car years ago I felt the slanted instruments were silly. Now that I drive one occasionally I've learned to hate those instruments.

Reply to
who

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

The reason it's so hard to believe is because it isn't true.

~snip~

The majority of posters in this NG come here to denigrate GM and promote imports. That's not to say that everything they say is untrue, but that you aren't likely to get a true picture of the reliability or desirability of North American models, from this group. Better to buy what YOU like, rather than be swayed by people with an agenda.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

A smart shopper will drive all those that suits his needs, get a total drive home price for each that he likes, then buy the one that suits his budget. Forget the brand and what others think of the ONE they bought.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We have a '95 lumina at work which we use for taking clients to out of town medical appointments. This car is just shy of 200K miles on it, drives, rides and handles far better than our 2000 Taurus with less than 1/2 the miles.... drivers get into arguments when it's time for 2 to go at the same time, over who gets the Chevy......

GM cars run badly longer than most any others will run at all =)

Reply to
Me