Outstanding Cars in last 10 Years.

NOT INCLUDING so called LUXURY cars or so called FULLY LOADED. EXCLUDE THESE.

In the last 10 years what are the above average cars used for basic daily transport.

Since 1968 I have owned two vehicles which I have used for daily transport, a 1968 Chevy Nova, 6cyl, manual transmission and presently a 1981 Ford Fairmont,

6cyl, auto transmission.

I believe it could possibly be time to replace my present daily transportation and would like to find out what are the good 4cyl and 6cyl vehicles in the last 10 years.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

"Denny B" ha scritto nel messaggio news:IDQTb.1147$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...

Since 1994 I have owned: Fiat Bravo 1.9 TD 100Hp (Green) Fiat Punto 1.7 D 60HP (Grey) Fiat Punto TD ELX 70HP (Black) Fiat Punto TD ELX 70HP (Orange) Fiat Punto 1.2 HLX (Red) Lancia Y 1.2 8v (Blue) Lancia Y 1.2 16v (Blue) Now I have a yellow Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD Dynamic 115HP (since 7/2003) and I'm ordering a new model Fiat Stilo GT 1.9 JTD 140HP

... I'm Italian... and my owned cars are only for your curiosity. :-(

:o)

Hi all

Reply to
Buchu

What point are you trying to convey.

In Canada, Fiat is considered rust bucket junk. Fiats have never been popular here. The few people I have seen in Canada with Fiat's are people who don't know the first thing about cars.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

7 cars in 10 years? Doesn't sound very reliable. Especially since they're fiats.
Reply to
Bill 2

Lol...my first car was a '74 X1/9!

And no, I didn't know the first thing about cars at the time. Wish I still had it, though. Lots of fun!

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

"Bill 2" ha scritto nel messaggio news:8WUTb.87072$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Why? Not 7 but 10 (1 car/year). My father was employed in FIAT and then I can buy new FIAT with discount. Then there are many solutions here (buyback like) and so...

;-)

Have you got any official charts about most european sold cars there in Canada (or USA)? And the global charts also? I'm interesting in... if possible. If you want I can found the European charts (or Italian) only for curiosity! ;-)

Reply to
Buchu

"Denny B" ha scritto nel messaggio news:GEUTb.1189$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...

You think american cars are best than european (and FIAT so?) I think you've got a problem if you think that! ;-) And u've got other car that the daily one u tell us? If yes wich one. I obviously am courious in USA/CANADIAN life style. Remember that here in europe gasoline is more expensive that in USA. Here we buy Gasoline w/out pb at 1.034 euro/liter (4.69 euro/gal - 1euro = 1.25USD)

:-(

Reply to
Buchu

. . .you can't prove long term reliability driving new cars? I know someone who works at Hyundai. He gets a discount and his son drives around in a 0 -

2 year old Accent. Since they are new they don't break down. That doesn't mean they are reliable in the long haul.

Don't know anything official, but on my observation in my area:

~ 50% Domestic ~50% Import

Of the imports: ~66% Jap ~33% Euro

Of the Euro:

60% VW Followed by: Volvo, then saab, a couple rovers, maybe a jag. No Fiats.
Reply to
Bill 2

He didn't say that American cars were better than ALL European cars. Just better than Fiat! :-) Fiat has a better reputation over here than Yugo, but not by much. Can't think of anything generally considered less reliable than those two. Mid 80s Renaults come close.

I personally do prefer American cars European, but the previous poster didn't say that.

Reply to
Steve

The 2.2 and 2.5.. NOT the 2.6 Mitsu motor. Don't know if it was available in your years mentioned. The K cars really pulled Chryslers' chestnuts out of the fire..

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Frank Knight

Agreed on the 2.2/2.5, but also AVOID the 3.0L Mitsubi$hi v6, unless you want your car to do double duty as a mosquito-fogger.

Among larger cars- Chrysler LH cars (3.3 or 3.5L engine, both very rugged, transmissions got better after 1995). Any GM with the 3.8L v6 engine (non-supercharged ones are better for reliability), and don't make the mistake of thinking the 3.4L v6 is anywhere near as good as the

3.8.

Frankly though, if you're looking for pure reliability, don't look at cars. Pretty much any American pickup truck built up through 2000 will still run FOREVER with proper care. Chevy/GM gets questionable after about 2000 (piston slap problem, spent a lot of time as the #1 vehicle on the Texas Lemon Law Report) but Ford and Dodge are still pretty indestructable. Early in the 90s Fords were better with the Windsor series engines (302, 351) than when they first switch to the Modular Series, but they now seem to have the early weak spots worked out of the Modular series (4.6, 5.4).

And I'd throw in the Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 on the list of most reliable cars of the past 10 years (not the Grand Cherokee, the one that was replaced by the Liberty)

Reply to
Steve

Were there any mid size pickup trucks that were reliable in the last 10 years.

Denny B

vehicle

Reply to
Denny B

I'd have to agree about american pickups. My 91 Chevy S10 with 2.8V6 and

5speed manual transmission had no balls whatsoever, but never saw an auto mechanic for 13 years and 143,000 miles. Only had to replace the maintainance things (battery, plugs, oil, etc) and a water pump at 75K. It finally died when I crashed it!

After that car, I'm a believer in simpler autos with fewer things to go wrong.

Greg

Reply to
GBannish