Oil Change Indicator and Multi Function Computer Interpretation - 2002 330i

I just purchased a beautiful steel grey on black 2002 330i last month. I have since put about 2000 miles on it.

I am a little concerned about the service interval indicator, ive noticed a couple of things and want to make sure it is normal:

*The oil change recommendation has been "-3300" for the entire time I've owned the car....Ive put about 2000 miles on it since I bought it....I am ASSUMING that the "-" means that I need an oil change in 3300 miles...not that it is 3300 miles overdue? Also, why has the interval indication not changed?

*I live in Atlanta...have done city driving and highway...even took a trip to Charleston the other weekend.....I dont see much of a variation in gas mileage...it's always 21.something.....has changed from like

21.3, 21.5, 21.7 but never 20 or 22....or anything else...

*My average speed is always around 39 mph?!....on highway trips i rarely drive below 80...at all....usually average between 80 and

100...with the occasional spurt to 110-120....;)

*I did have to reset the clock when i purchased the car.....was reading

--:--. The car is a 2002 and had about 53K when i bought it. I bought it from a dealer, but wonder if the previous owner had changed out the battery. Why would the clock have been reset otherwise?

Is there something wrong here? Does a button need to be pressed or a computer reset? Is it possible that the computer is not functioning properly....???

Any insight would be greatly appreciated? Hate to ask questions that appear to be so obvious...but im like a parent with his first baby.......really want to be overly cautious here vs neglectful.....

Thanks,

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

These are probably giving averages since it was last re-set which could be many many miles ago, and therefore very slow to change.

Resetting them will give the actual average since the re-set.

Check the handbook on how to do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Either the indicator was not reset at the last oil change or you are at this point more than 3300 miles overdue for it. The counter works as a countdown from around 15000 to 0. Negative numbers indicate overdue. I would be sure to change the oil immediatly if you can't confirm when the oil was last changed since it wouldn't be good to run this far past due.

You need to reset the mpg setting on the OBC. Since what you are seeing is an average, the more miles that are put on since the last reset will tend to make it a very "static" reading.

Same as above. You need to reset the average speed on the OBC.

They probably never set the clock since removing the battery will reset the OBC as well.

Kyle.

98 740iL 97 M3
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

To reset, cycle to the MPG reading and then hold the stalk in until the reading changes (may momentarily be "------"). You may have to be moving for this to work properly, but it will reset to the instantaneous mpg and all future readings will average from that point - until the next reset.

Again, hold the stalk in until the reading changes.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Korth

message

Thanks for the detailed information.......:)

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

Select CONSUM1 or CONSUM2 (Pressing the CONSUM button will toggle between the options) and then press RESET. The consumption readings are an average from whenever the last time the reading was reset, so after several tanks of gas, the number won't change very much, if it changes at all. I use one of the readings for long term cunsumption, and the other for every tank of gas. I find that I get 25 mpg, both in the math (miles / gallons / mpg) and by the reading.

Again, press RESET. The reading that is displayed is the Average Speed over time. It includes sitting at a stop light and stuck in traffic jams. Since it hasn't been reset in a very long time, your occasional spurts to the triple digits won't be measured by the Average Speed display.

It's always possible, but you haven't said anything that makes me think this is the case.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland