over reving

Page 3 of 3
Jeff Strickland wrote:

That's alright, I'm not buying it. I don't believe the transmission control module is stupid enough to down shift into redline, which BTW would then invalidate the engine warranty. Unless you see some real evidence to the contrary, I would not believe Mr Plowman's assertion.
--
-Fred W

It's unlikely you have driven a 528 with the ZF auto.
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

The rev limiter kicks in @ 6500RPM on the M54 engine. 7000 on the newer (magnesium block) six. 4500 RPM is just getting into the power band.
There's this red area on your tachometer (that's the big round dial next to the speedometer). Keep the needle from getting too far into that zone and you won't hurt the engine. BTW, the auto trans and ECU will prevent you from goving too far into that zone and over-revving the engine. If a step downshift would result in an over-rev, it won't downshift. Now if you had a manual transmission, you CAN goon it up.
R / John