Toyota Avensis over reving

Hi all

My Toyota Avensis (7 year old) has suddenly started to rev at 1800 rpm when ideling if the engine is hot. At start up its fine. It hasn't affected the performance or driving in any way. I am thinking it must be some sensor on the fuel system.

Any suggestions or comments welcome before I drop it into the main dealer for the proverbial deep intake of breath when he hears the problem?

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

First check would be for an intake air leak

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It could be the temperature sender telling the ECU that the engine is still cold, so it ups the idle.

Or, do you have aircon? Many cars will boost the idle speed when the aircon is on as it takes quite a bit of oomph to run the compressor.

Reply to
PC Paul

Had a similar problem on my golf and turned out to be a dirty throttle body ?

Reply to
James

Hehe, the perfect thread. See my post about my mondeo doing similar!

Reply to
Mike Barnard