Re: OT - Rover dead - no tears

Page 2 of 2
Yes. But not only BMW. Rover and its predecessors have been zombies for longer than I care to remember. Mostly at my expense. Ggrrrrrrrrr.
DAS
"Daniel Arrepas" < snipped-for-privacy@butler-rosebury.com> wrote in message
news:jkcge.45$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Right. ;-)

Of course it could be said near every pushrod V8 bears a passing resemblance to each other.
<snip>

The FF system was really just the centre differential. The anti-lock - which did need FF due to being rather crude - was Dunlop Maxerat, as used on aircraft which of course don't have driven wheels. So although it IIRC needed AWD, the AWD could be used on its own without anti-lock.

Yes. In some ways I'd have liked the UK government to have been allowed to loan them the necessary capital to modernise the whole range and production facilities. But given the over capacity in this area world wide it would simply have passed on the problems to another maker - and possibly one that also made similar cars in the UK - so at the end of the day causing the same loss of jobs, etc. After all, Ford and GM seem incapable of making a profit in this class.
--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Don't forget that BMW still own the rights to the Rover brand, so what happens to the company is very relevant to BMW.
London SW

Anyone who wonders why Rover is broke might consider a new Rover 25 that I have taken delivery of on Monthly Hire - it is a nice looking car and drives well but in the 1st 500 miles has had the following problems - a) Gear stick knob came off in my hand b) Locked me out in the supermarket car park, I had to set off the alarm to get in c) Has developed a metallic whine when driving d) Boot only shuts if you slam it e) Sony Radio Cassette doesn't receive Radio 4 properly - crackling all the time (to be honest I suspect this is a dealer fitter option rather than the standard Rover radio/cassette so maybe not their fault).
I suspect I will send it back shortly.
Roger
That is TERRIBLE. Change band or switch to World Service (648 khz) while you wait.
DAS
"Roger Matthews" < snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@leri.aber.ac.uk...

Surprisingly, BBC World Service can be difficult to receive in the UK - apart from on DAB.
But it isn't the same as R4, although there is some programme interchange.
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

1) You are, of course, right (but in London area not too bad). It's not so surprising since it is not aimed at UK listerners. However, now on Radio 4 frequencies 01.00 - 05.30 (I think) when Radio 4 is off-air.
2) Also true, of course, but World Service (BBC World Service, that is, for those not aware) still offers a good mix of current affairs and some light entertainment and makes a good alternative to R4 and even R5.
Also a different perspective on news with a greater international content.
DAS