Darn Mute Connection on Ford Radio

Up till now, no luck. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with the simplest AM/FM single CD radio. I have a cell phone hands free with a mute connection to the radio so as to mute when using the phone. For the life of me and the agency, since this is a radio without a mute button on the face, no one knows where to connect the mute coonection of the hands free to the radio. Make my day and someone help me out!! Thanks

Steve

Reply to
dhlair

to readers, should actually read at the end "to what pin at the at the rear of the radio".

Reply to
dhlair

Is this for real? No one knows??? Help!!!

Reply to
dhlair

Call Crutchfield, they should know.

1-888-955-6000
Reply to
Big Bill

Thanks Big Bill, but "no purchase" no answers! I guess I give up. Really doesn't sound like a difficult question and was sure there was someone around that could figure this one out. I guess the motto is "don't buy a hands free cause no one can insatll it". What frustration!

Reply to
dhlair

Sorry they couldn't help. Why can't the people who made the hands free unit help? You mentioned "the agency" as not being able to help; who is "the agency"? The makers of the hands free unit?

Reply to
Big Bill

I phoned several auto audio electronics dealers asking how to connect my cell phone to my radio so that the radio mute would operate each time I used the cell phone. Not a single dealer would share the secret of which wires must be connected to in order to make this happen. However, several dealers were willing to accept upwards of $130 of my money for them to clip into the unmentionable magic wires that, when pierced would enable my hands free unit to mute the radio. Good luck & good hunting!

Reply to
Passerby

Now we're talking the same language. Problem is I bought my car at the Ford Dealership in Panama (Republic of) and they have no clue, not even for $130, which at this point, would be happy to pay!!! You said it....... good hunting!

Reply to
dhlair

Found on the web:

This will work with any phone kit that uses an external speaker and has a mute lead.The wire color changes radio to radio, all you need is a little 12volt test light connect the lead to ground and probe the largest square plug behind the radio.Make sure the radio is on.Once you find the right wire the radio will mute and it will display either "Phone" or "Mute".When hooked up to a phone kit this will mute the radio when the phone is in use.

Reply to
Paul M

Paul M,

Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Sure we're talking about the same simple Ford single CD AM/FM radio without a mute botton on the face? Where did you find this on the web?

Steve

Reply to
dhlair

"dhlair" wrote: > Paul M, > > Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Sure we're talking > about the same > simple Ford single CD AM/FM radio without a mute botton on the > face? Where > did you find this on the web? > > Steve

HI.

I understand your frustration about gaining radio muting locations as although I install carkits for a living even I find it hard to get information sometimes hence I am happy to share any information I can.

Without knowing the radio model I can?t really tell you alot. The test light theory works a treat I use it all the time. You will probably find that it is 1 of the empty holes in the plug going into the back of the stereo.

If you let me know what model radio it is I could probably send you a diagram and inform you about the best way to go about it.

Reply to
LAZARETH