Spark Plug blew out of my 88 535i

Smelled a bit of fuel on start up and a different sound to the motor. 17 years ols and 180k + miles so I didint panic. Drove about 5 miles then POW!
Shut right down and found the plug sitting on the frame. Once it cooled down I spun it back in and firmed it up nicely, and car seems to be running better than ever. No evidence of block threads in the plug thread area. Loose plug? Trouble ahead? Advice welcomed and appreciated.
Is this a joke?

I never found the spark plug on the garage ground but years ago, i had one unscrewed for half a turn on my 3.16i. And since I'm not a good client for mechanics I know _I_ torqued it some months ago. Probably not enough ... The threads were rather dirty. May be it was the cause.

POW!
down
Had that happen on my 3 litre Capri years ago. The plug just unwound itself. No idea how long it took for it to happen but no lasting effect from it happening.
--
Cheers

Rick

http://www.aqua-maniac.co.uk
I had the same thing happen once on an old Volkswagen beetle. I also just put the plug back in and it ran for many thousand miles before I finally got rid of it.