34 pict carb plug blew out...

Last night I re-built a 34 pict carb that hasn't been used in around 20 years. Its in perfect shape, good throttle shafts etc. Anyway, I re-assembled it, and installed it in my Sunbug, and went to fire it up. It started to fire (carb was filling up with gas) and backfired. I heard a weird POP sound, and it turns out that dime sized plug blew out and I don't have a clue where it landed!

What can I use that will fit in that hole without damaging the carb? I tried filing down a dime, but that just wouldn't work properly. Any common household or garage item that is the right size and shape to fit?

Reply to
Ryan Lester

I have used a cork from a fishing tackle box. Also a marble, held in place with duct tape, and once, for a very shor time, a marble held in place with chewing gum. Right now, I have a dime, filed down so it just fits in the hole, and held in place with liquid JB Weld. It's been there a long time, and holds up just fine.

Reply to
Russell Funk