Speedometer faulty

Hi
My speedometer stopped working; and at the same time the window wiper stopped working at regular speed mode. (Only intermittant and full speed are
now functioning.) I have checked the fuses.
My question is: Could these problems be linked together?
I hope anyone could advice on how to fix this.

Beside the obvious since this is a BMW forum, what year and model are you talking about?

Oops.. '89 BMW 520 (E34)
In normal speed wiper position, they go intermitant when you are stopped (ie speedo reading less than about 5 mph) so I would say the problems are linked and it is the faulty speedo that is causing it. On E34 it is normally a bad earth in the cluster or nearby cabling (try banging around the dash while driving). If you have to replace the whole cluster, there are two different ones - one speedo goes to 240 (probably yours) and later one goes to 260 kph (or mph equivalent) - they're not interchangable.
Steve

I suspect the connection to the speed sensor on the differential is dodgy. The speed signal is used as an input to the wiper controller.
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Thank You for the tip.
Now it works. Both wiper and speedometer. I checked the connectors on the differential and they were bad. I fixed them, and now everything works fine!