Speedometer stopped working!

Hi guys,

I was driving to work today doing about 30-50mph, when I noticed my speedometer was stuck at 0mph. It was about 2 minutes after ignition. I can't remember if I could see my revs or not. When I stopped at the next traffic light, I turned to the igntion off/on and it seemed to act normally again. Could this be a computer problem?

It's a 2003 Civic LX with about 40k miles on it. I might have triggered something - in my rush for work (I was hella late), I pulled out into heavy traffic and probably got it up to speed in just a few seconds - revving the engine way more than I usually do (~5k) in 1st/2nd/3rd gear (I know, this isn't too good for the car, but it was a one-off).

Is this something that I should ignore, or should I get it looked at?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Reply to
A Rangers Fan

Also, my "Maintenance required light" flashes at ignition. I think I remember the manual saying that this was telling me that an oil change was due. I get my oil changed regularly, but sometimes I have to turn this light off myself. Could it be something other than the oil/mileage countdown.

Reply to
A Rangers Fan

A Rangers Fan wrote in news:429e29a1$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.es.net:

There's a VSS vehicle speed sensor that sends the speed signal to the ECU. I don't know exactly where it is on your model.You could have a bad wire or connector.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

As long as it's not the MIL/Check engine light, that is the expected behavior. It is just a simple mileage count since the last reset, it flashes at ~7000 and will remain lit at ~7500.

Reply to
MAT