jetta speedometer and tachometer stopped working

I have a 1996 Jetta with about 110k miles on it.

I've changed my battery about a month ago and after I changed the battery, the speedometer and tachometer stopped working. Everything else on the instrument cluster works (Temperature, Diagnostic lights, odometer, clock and such). The speedometer refuses to move and the tachometer seems to quickly vibrate at 0. When I shut the engine off, the tachometer continues to vibrate (like something is trying to move it back and forth)

Any info and help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Scott Buck

Scott, I had the same problem on my 1999 Cabrio. Turns out it was the instrument cluster. $350 at the local VW dealer plus labor for install.

Hope this helps.

Mark...

Reply to
Markmx5

Yo man i fixed it myself make sure the speedo cable in your tranny is busted ie. the little gear on the end. remove your instment cluster and check the cable connection. I had a busted cable and misaligned gear inside of the cluster. I used my sons little friction toy car to fix the mileage it actually spun faster than my power drill. mail me with questions . snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
DonnaSnshn