1992 Camry Speedometer Stopped Working

I have a 1992 v6 camry 5 sp 400,000 km. The speedo and cruise control stopped working. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems?

Reply to
jim long

At approximately one quarter of a million miles, they are just taking a bit of a rest.

Mike

Reply to
Artfulcodger

"Artfulcodger" wrote in news:3bEDc.2593$cg snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

control

problems?

taking

The car can go another 400,000 km (with a little help). If I had tons of cash I wouldn't be posting here, I'd be at the dealer with cheque book in hand. I realize the speedo/cruise system is fairly complex, but I'll bet there's a common problem in these old camrys that's related to my dilemma.

In my experience with toyota cars, it's usually dirty or loose connections that can cause failures of this nature. My problem is that I don't know where to start looking. I assumed there'd be a cable of some sort at fault, uh uh, speed sensors, ecu's (processors?) are the order of the day for modern cars like 92 camrys.

I just finished washing this car and it looks great, I can't imagine a new one working any better (speedo of course would work).

I don't care about the speedo, I want the criuse back. The criuse stopped working two days after the speedo went south.

I went for a highway trip (500KM) and had the car approaching 200km/h, passing a few tractor trailers. The following morning the speedo was gone (fuse/breaker?). Two days later the criuse went south.

I had been under the dash about a week before this happened removing the two fasteners that hold the master clutch cylinder in place. Is it possible I loosened something? I went back and examined everything and all looks fine. I realize there's a switch on the cluth pedal for the criuse control, it's adjusted properly.

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated, there must be a common denominator for failures like these in camrys (I hope)

Rgds

Jim Long

Reply to
jim long

Didn't have this problem, but would check the speed sensor. First check the electrical connection, then the sensor itself. On the automatic, it's right on top of the transaxle case, should be something similar for the 5 spd.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Daniel M. Dreifus) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

control

problems?

I checked and tested the speed sensor, it was bad. I replaced with a new one and the speedo is still not working. the speed sensor is functioning properly at the terminal. The cc module isn't receiving power at the designated terminal. also the switches from the clutch and brake pedal are not showing up as signals at the cc module's connector.

I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time on a large learning curve. I'm already out $350 cnd. I'm not sure if i want to go any further with this.

Does anybody know if the dealer can diagnose this problem quickly with the analysing tolls they jave at thier disposal?

Reply to
jim long

Hello Sir, I have a 99 Camry which had the same problem 2 days back.

All power windows got stuck and speedo, odo and DRL stopped working. I am a complete novice in car maintenance.. I had just checked the fuses and could not find any blown ones. So, I took the vehicle to the nearby auto repair shop [NOT a dealer!!].

They said it was some broken wire in the trunk and that caused some fuses to blow-off. They charged me 2 hours of labor[$70 * 2 = $140] plus parts cost of another $5 and taxes etc...total of $168.00

Just sharing it so that it gives an idea on the cost of repair.

thanks Chundi

Reply to
Chundi