Tool question

I am working on filling in my tool collection with some nice, high end (high quality) tools. I have found Wiha for most of the precision hand tools.
However, I am having trouble locating a German company that makes socket sets and wrenches. A friend of mine told me there was an Italian company that makes socket sets, but he did not know the name. Does anyone know of such companies/products?
You want "high end" sockets? Wiha makes good stuff, especially screw drivers. Not sure about their sockets. There are alot of other companies that make "high end" sockets, Check out Snap-on, MAC, Armstrong, Matco, and Facom to name a few. Heck, even Craftsmans are good, especially their professional level.
I'm not aware of any "italian company" that makes socket. However, Ferrari, a small italian company, uses Facom tools, which btw is French, is that high end enough? For more, see here:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/facfer.html
If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a name, check out Snap on, its sockets are arguably the best.....

life warranty on them. Its just I have seen a lot of ratchets fall apart when pushing them hard. My Uncle works for Snap-on, I will have to see if he can get me a deal... What about air tools? like an impact wrench? Stick with Craftsman/Snap-on there too? As for that link, that is a NICE looking tool set, but I want tools that I would be willing to use, not a show piece. That set is a little too rich for me to use in the garage.
Yow, if your "uncle" works for Snapon, your search is over. If you can get some "employee discount", then JUST DO IT!!!!
Hey, if the majority of pros in the US use Snap-on, and note they're using it day in and day out; why bother with the fancy euro stuff?
A couple of good things about Craftsmansockets - you can get them replaced at *any* Sears AND they have the new easy-to-read ones that makes finding the one you need fast and easy, especially as you get older!

ever reason, it peals the chrome right off! Guess how I figured that one out. The Laser etching is nice though.

Peeliing chrome is a covered defect. Tak it back.

Funnily, Snap On is the snob make in the UK. Very over priced - but they do good credit terms and discount as they direct sell to the garage trade so keep their customers that way.
We have a large parts and accessory chain called Halfords, and their pro range is very good - and beautifully finished. Not that what a tool looks like has much bearing on its strength.
It's rumoured to be made by Facom, who also now own Britool.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave states:
<Funnily, Snap On is the snob make in the UK. Very over priced - but they do good credit terms and discount as they direct sell to the garage trade so keep their customers that way. >
That's interesting. With the dollar taking a "pounding" (sorry, couldn't resist) from the UK Pound, you would think Snap-On tools would be "cheap" or at least more affordable than euro tools like Facom, which is very expensive in the US.
I have a friend who has access to Snap-on industrial pricing and can get from 48-50% off list. Even at that pricing, I still find Snap-on tools to be too expensive and have bought only a few things.
The key here is Trey has an "uncle" who supposedly works for Snap-on. If this is true, he should get at least the pricing I've gotten and be able to finish "filling his tool collection".

No matter what the dollar does against the pound, US products are always expensive in the UK. Probably the importers taking advantage.
A 20,000 dollar US made car is likely to cost 25,000 plus GBP.
BMWs also are cheaper in the US than the UK despite the extra freight costs. For example, a 545 SE auto costs 45,820 gbp.
--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

really surprising was the low cost (and incredible range of optional selection) of BMWs in Germany about 5 years ago. Sub-USD $20K E46 320i , anyone? (OK, that's from memory and it's a stripper with no DSC, ABS, etc. But still!)
JRE
That's where the real "bargain" is. For the US market, BMWNA loads up its cars so that only the top-end, fully loaded versions with leather, wood, heated seats and any other amenity that is available. Remember, in the US, BMW has an imagine that must be maintained. Of course, with that louszy idrive, overly complex NAV and weird styling, that imagine is slowly changing,... for the worse! I do like the fact that you can get the E90 3 Series WITHOUT idrive and NAV. That's a good step!
In other markets, you can get options like NO sunroof, clothe seats, roll up windows. Add in small engines, not available in the US due to emission concerns and well, you can find a $20K or less E46.

A Diesel BMW with cloth seats and manual AC (non-auto-climate control) would be nice, but they are aiming for exclusivity in the US market. Just like Mercedes. For some reason, they do not want the US to know they make commercial trucks or busses! the 'Dodge' Sprinter, and the Freightliner Unimog are two examples of this.
Question. When your in Germany, England... anywhere outside the US... what is "the common car"? Here in California, you cant even count the number of Toyotas and Hondas. The are everywhere, and they are cheap.

The 3 Series has out sold the Ford Mondeo here in the UK in couple of years.
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

I have never managed to break a Craftsman tool, but the one that did break at our house was replaced, no questions asked. I don't remember what happened to the tool, but my instinct is that a rachet handle was being used as a hammer and simply couldn't take the abuse anymore.
If you can get Craftsman, you are getting about as good as you can get. You said your uncle is an inside track to SnapOn, I wouldn't hesitate to work him over for your additions to the collection. I have never seen a SnapOn tool that I wouldn't want to own, with the exception of the snap on tool that Billie Jean King uses.

Their hexagon keys are certainly not good quality. Not a patch on those made by Unbrako or Allen. Mike.
SNIP

I've had poor luck with Craftsman standard ratchet wrenches, the pawls start slipping. The new top of the line are all-metal and seem to be much better made ... actually, all their "professional" stuff seems to be of higher quality.
The quality of their standard wrenches went down in the 80's (comparing two sets). Current sockets are pretty nice and use an improved slope-shoulder design to grip the bolt/nut head.
Can't beat them for price/performance although the new stuff from Stanley looks pretty competitive. "Free" replacements are often remanufactured. Snap-on are beautiful, but very expensive (they're more expensive than the imported Facom in the states) and they have the best selection of specialty tools going.
R / John

I have fixed any slippage that I have experienced with a drop or two of 3in1 oil. I'd agree though, the professional quality is much better.

See http://www.usag-tools.com /
See http://www.samstagsales.com/ for German manufacturers.
Trey wrote:

GEDORE is a pretty well-known German maker of high end tools.
As are HEYCO and HAZET!