Troubleshooting brake, running lights on 1984 325e

Symptoms:
Left rear, right front and rear running lights are out. Instrument panel lights (the ones that illuminate your speedometer, etc) also do not come on when the headlights are turned on.
Headlights, turn indicators, fog lights are all working.
A voltage reading at the right rear light interface (where the bulbs plug in) shows very low voltages (< 1 volt), The left side has good voltage readings (~12V).
Does this suggest anything immediately?
Can I narrow down where the fault may lie?
Thanks, Graham Dunn
First rule for troubleshooting old BMW electrical systems: check the grounds. Connections should be clean, bright, and tight. Check the fuse and relay connections for corrosion. Use a deoxidizing contact cleaner, such as Wurth Contact-OL or Caig Labs Deoxit. Check the bulb sockets for corrosion.
If this doesn't lead to a fix, get the BMW Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) for your model. AVailable on CD from BMW dealers. Paper copies may show up on auction sites.
I have a 1995 BMW 325i, and my rear brake light kept going out. I kept changing bulbs, but then realized it was just the connection. I sprayed Deoxit on it (bought at Radio Shack), and it has worked fine for months. -Doug
Bob Kegel wrote:

Just for the archives, it turned out to be corroded leads on the headlight switch (which really is quite a clever piece of engineering, once you get it open).