Weird Wiper Behavior: Won't turn off but intermittent works

Hi all,
I am new to group, but not to BMW's. I have a '98 528i 127k, a 94 325is 180k, and 72 R60/5 42k. The problem I'm having is with my e39 528.
Last week my wife took the car and had it washed/cleaned. When she returned she indicated that she could not turn off the wipers. Since the intermittent speeds function properly, I assume the switch/control mechanism in the steering wheel is ok. Ok so then I thought about the relays. However, the st(d)ealer has to order the relays and their is a no return policy on electronic equipment, so before I move to that stage do any of y'all have a feeling as to the cause of my woes?
tia, Nik

When my 635 did that it was the control relay. I'm surprised to hear of it failing on such a young car as yours.