What's this thing? 92 e32 735

Right below the intake manifold, on the drivers (US - Left) side; there's a vacuum line going to a canister in front of the power steering resevoir.
On this line is a small valve or switch; it's black in color; with an arrow on it.
It doesn't appear to be a check valve, since it has an electrical connector with two poles. I cannot locate a wiring harness to plug into it.
Does anyone know what this is, or where (if at all) something should plug into it? I can send a small picture to someone if they are interested.
Thanks -josh
Looking at realoem -- Item #1 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB43&mospidG359&btnr _0189&hg&fg
or
http://tinyurl.com/zmexq

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB43&mospidG359&btnr _0189&hg&fg
from clive BMW master technician south africa

Thanks Clive; but NOT the canister, the valve inline with the hoses, listed as item #1 It appears to be a valve -- trying to determine if wires do connect to it or not
Josh Assing wrote:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB43&mospidG359&btnr _0189&hg&fg
The ETK says it is the fuel tank breather valve. I would be inclined to believe it...
--
-Fred W

OK -- But is there an electrical connection to it? The valve itself has a connector; but no wires to it..
Josh Assing wrote:

Yes, it should have a connection to it. It is a solenoid type of valve, The valve should have a resistance of ~45 +/- 20 ohms. The valve should be closed to airflow through it with no electrical input, and should open when power is applied.
If you have nothing connected to the valve then you have no fuel tank gas recirculation for emissions. It could also cause some strange starting/running problems. Are you troubleshooting something or just happen to notice it.
--
-Fred W

Just happen to notice it.. I cannot find any connector for it; so it must have come loose and either the wires broke off or it got tucked up somewhere tight..
Any clues on where to look for hte harness for it?
Thanks -josh
Josh Assing wrote:

No sorry, I don't have one of those models. But it would have to be within reach of the connection.
Maybe someone with an E32 could check on theirs...
--
-Fred W

tank venting system on the vehicle. clive

Clive wrote:

Obviously. The question that remained unanswered was, where in the wiring harness does the wiring/connector for the breather valve branch out from, so the OP can look for it.
--
-Fred W

Josh Assing wrote:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB43&mospidG359&btnr _0189&hg&fg
Josh,
Just been out to have a look at mine. The wiring harness is very thin and goes from the solenoid valve, in behind the inlet manifold and joins the some other cables just behind the starter solenoid. You might try looking behind the manifold it could easily be hidden in there.
It's a bit dark here at the moment - something to do with it being 8pm - so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to get some photos for you. I'll post back here with a URL you can use to view them, okay?
--
Regards

Steve G

Thank you Steve! I'll go have a look. I'm worried it may be broken & lost.

That'd be Great! Thanks!
-josh
Thanks Steve!!!
I reached under and traced all the wires steaming from behind the starter solinoid...
Sure enough; there was one that went "no where". Somehow; it ended up way up behind the intake manifold; up near the injectors....
I suspect we snaked the wire up there when I replaced the head gasket (d'oh!) and lost track of it...
W/o the "where it came from" I'd never have found it....
Thanks much steve.
Cheers! -josh
Josh Assing wrote:

Josh,
Glad we managed to sort that one out. I won't bother with the photos now then :-)
--
Regards

Steve G

No need! But thank you for the offer... the 1st go at finding it was like "There's nothing there! when will those photo's be ready?"
Frustration set it and I went out there determined to find it.... I didn' tknow my arm bent that way; but it did & I found it.
Really; I'd NEVER have found it w/o your help. Thanks. -josh
btw: My idle is now smoother, or at least I think it is.
Josh Assing wrote:

The idle on mine is like a roller coaster for about 2 mins on a really cold morning but I've learned to live with it. I'll revisit the problem if it still persists later in the year when the mornings are warmer.
--
Regards

Steve G

Mine does that too; but only like a gentle up/down.
w/o the connector it never "smoothed out" now it does again.
I'm thinking it might be worn out fuel injectors -- because on another car that's what it was.. I already have some ford 5.0 injectors -- just need to find the time.
-josh