Centering intake manifold right-left

This is long -- it's too dark to take a picture so I have to use 1,000 words.

The 71 Wonderbus's new engine parts are now being assembled. It's a great feeling to open up the boxes with the cleaned parts that I removed from the old blown 1776 and start mounting them on the new Mexican 1600 DP longblock. As I posted earlier, I won't be using the dual Kadrons -- I want the better cleaning provided by the original oil bath filter (our air here in SoCal is very dusty) and the bus should run just fine with a new 34 PICT, on its way from aircooled.net. Bustedbus.com provided the new intake manifold and manifold ends.

I'm a little puzzled by something: I did a trial assembly last night of the intake parts on the engine and noted that the manifold was off-center, being biased toward the port (left, driver's) side of the engine: the preheat tubes' intake flanges are not centered above the exhaust ports on the heads.

The center-bottom of the manifold has a tab that sticks downward, toward the engine. The tab has a notch. The notch sits over one of the studs on the case, which is used to clamp the two halves of the case together. This would be the second one from the rear (rear is rear) of the engine.

This stud points to the left. There is presently a nut on the stud. Presently, the manifold is shoved to the right as far as it will go, so that its tab butts up against the nut.

It appears that if the nut is removed, the manifold can be slid another

6mm or so to the right, which will probably be all that is needed to center it horizontally. But the stud is too short to project through the tab on the manifold far to allow the nut to be put back on once the manifold is in place.

As a result, the stud, which serves to help hold the two halves of the engine case together, won't have a nut on it if I expect the manifold to be centered. I am wondering if engines built for the 71 bus had a longer stud there, so the intake manifold could be affixed to the case by the same nut that held the case halves together?

Inge, looking at this, frowned a little -- tiny lines of vexation on her forehead, and said, "What does this mean, Doctor?" (I let her think I am a doctor -- it makes giving "examinations" much easier.) I told her that she should not worry, that I would sort this out in the morning, that it was now time to retire to the library for a brandy and an "examination."

Now I am up early in the morning, quietly typing at the computer, asking for help with this little puzzle.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

....yes the stud should be long enouggh to extend through the slot (mmm....inge would understand that I'm sure....) It sounds like to may need a longer stud if yours does not.

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I wonder how to make this stud longer . . . would any of those herbal pills I keep getting emails about help?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Rocky, I had the same problem with my Mexiblock from John C. I did not want to mess with the stud. I removed the nut, which you must do, in order to line it up. I got my sawzall and sliced the manifold flange in half. Of course removing the section on the left. Everything lined up perfectly and plenty of bolt clearance. Half assed but worked well. Eric 68 Bug 62 Ghia both topless

Reply to
Stutzsr

Sounds to be a reasonable solution. The tab is 12mm thick -- half of that should be plenty for case clamping and manifold mounting.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

,....thread twon nuts onto the stud and tighten them against each other. Use them to unscrew the offending stud from the case. Go to your local hardware store and buy a slightly longer stud....simple.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

So it's not some formidable stud that has been press-fit or set into a preheated case that has shrunk-fitted itself around the threads then.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Nope, it's not -- came out easy as pie. Thanks, Gary!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Braukuche

Dan, I was not adventurous........thats why I took the easy (harder) way out. I will pull the stud out next time for sure. Funny, but I did drill and tap the thermostat bracket boss on the Mexi block. Got spooked I guess. Thats why I love this newsgroup and the Ghia mailing list........I LEARN stuff everyday...nice helpful people too............ Eric 68 Bug 62 Ghia both topless

Reply to
Stutzsr

Reply to
Braukuche