window not working in 1997 528i

There is a little ball-like thing on a wire that helps the window move up and down. It has slipped out of it's place on the window channel. My son
moved it back in place but it slipped again soon after.
1 - What can I do without taking it to a dealer that is not a short term fix?
2 - What is a long-term solution?