98 eldo fuel delivery problem

my 98 el shuts down periodicly,i can get car restarted after a while,sometimes banging on tank helps. i'm thinking this may be a relay, beings there are about 85 of them.....help!!!!!

s>my 98 el shuts down periodicly,i can get car restarted after a s>while,sometimes banging on tank helps. i'm thinking this may be a relay, s>beings there are about 85 of them.....help!!!!! s>
...or, the fuel pump having seizures? Debris clogging the pick-up line? In these cases; however, I'd expect to see some sort of a starvation first.
If it's an abrupt shutdown, then suspect ignition problems. Have you pulled the codes? I know how to do it for a '97 and older but that might have changed by '98 which was the first year of a new 5-year build cycle.

If banging on the tank helps then most likely the pump is failing.