Coolant

maybe someone can help was looking at a 1992 eldorado caddy. 4.9 liter run sweet no smoke no knocking. however the rad is full of black oil.yes oil not coolant
any idea??could the head gasket be blown and car still running good??
Looks like a head gasket to me.

wouldn't the car overheat then?? or smoke or make noise?? still run very smooth

I think it would depend upon where they blew. My Regal didn't smoke when I blew them out. Although, I always heard that the oil would look like a chocolate milk shake if they blew into the oil passages. Have you looked at the oil? Jeff
--
www.franzcars.com
"andre" < snipped-for-privacy@havefun.com> wrote in message
the oil is fine no milk traces or nothing. I had many people looking at it over the weekend and everyone is puzzled. someone said there is an oil cooler inside the rad and that may be busted. hope that's all it is.it's a very nice car

good??
You don't suppose the previous owner put in oil instead off water/antifreeze coolant? Years ago I heard cars in the desert use 100% antifreeze.
You may want to contact General Motors and see what they have to say.
Myself, if I was tempted to purchase this car I would ask if I could have the cooling system flushed out, install the proper coolant and have a reliable mechanic check it over.
--
Don
Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

I live in the Mojave Desert, just 60 milers from Death Valley. Temps here in the Summer run in the teens & twenties regularly.
I used 100 percent antifreeze in my Ford E-150, and avoided using any water at all because the water rusted the thermostat, and it would stick occasionally. Also, I added a squirt of cutting oil to the radiator. It stopped the rust problem flat!
Ron C.
======================================================== On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:34:15 -0700, "Don Schmidt"

well they found the problem.was the oil cooler rad inside the rad that was no good and leaking oil in the rad. thanks for all the input
wrote:

water/antifreeze
You are a lucky man! If you don't want to go for the expense of a new/rebuilt radiator you can get a cooler add-on at a trailer supply store.
--
Don
Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!
I didn't take a chance put a brand new factory rad in it.wasn't cheap but I always use factory part when it come to such part.down the road if I resell the car I can give all the service record with it. Yes I agree I was sweating it on the weekend but all is fine now.
Incidentally I just sold a 1981 Seville that had 104,000km on it for 5,000. the reason the guy wasn't afraid to buy it its because I had a complete history of all the parts and bills to prove it.

store.