89 camaro

I have a 89 Camaro that the security on the ignition switch works sometimes and sometimes it dosen't is there any way to go around this switch or to
shut it off my wife drives it to work sometimes and really gets pissed when it won't start thanks for any advice
I have had that same problem for the last 5 years with my 89, with no success of finding out what is causing it or how to correct it....but I guess when I only drive it 3 times a year, I've been in no hurry. I pissed off wife is not a good thing.

sometimes
when
Philip & Kylene Blanchard wrote:

Most likely either the chip in your key or the contacts in the ingition switch are worn. If the chip in the key is work the easiest fix may be a new key. If the ignition is worn you can either replace the switch with it's contacts, or follow the wire down, measher the resistance of the chip in the key and put a resister of the same value across the line coming from the key (cut the wire and put it across the wire coming up from the computer) to make it always think that the proper key is in place. Personally I would fix the problem just to keep things as close to original as possible.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer