Help 89 Camaro Vaps ignition

I bought an 89 RS for my son - it was repod. They broke the ignition switch and column to pieces in the process. Apparently this is a 89 with the VAPS theft prevention system, becuase it had the clip in the ign key. I mistakely bought a column and replaced it, and the new one is from an 89

- but I just discovered it doesnt have VAPS. The key doesnt have the chip - and the car wont turn over or staaart. I have the original key and the oem key for the replacement column. IS there ANYWAY to wire the car to start? The dealer said they cant make a chip key black to match the replacement cylinder, and it obviously wouldnt work - since the column isnt wired on the top end for the chip. Someone siggested putting a resistor in the two small wires at the bottom.... - they connect into a small arness with two other wires that disappear into the wire loom under the dash....

Ideas?

Please email me at snipped-for-privacy@batteriesareus.com

Reply to
partsmore

has a quick article on howto bypass VATS.

Reply to
Ken

THANK YOU Wired the 3.003 resistor inline and started immediately!

Reply to
partsmore