How to remove shifter knob 81 Z28 auto?

My how to & restoration books do not show how to remove this automatic shifter knob from a 81 Z28. I don't want to just 'get in there' and screw something up. Any tips, advice, etc. would be very helpful.
Thanks, Marty

Hi Marty,
The middle button pulls out.
There is a snap ring that fits around the shifter shaft that holds the handle on. Get a pair of snap ring pliers and you can remove the snap ring. Then the handle will lift off of the shaft.
Hope this helps.
David
Thanks David!

Pry the thumb button off and there is a retainer ring inside the know. Use a little screw driver to pull it off the groove.