more dumb newbee questions

Okay, I'm ready to pull off the good luvers but the underside is covered with an old insulation matterial. Do I just tear it out, or is this something that I should try to remove and keep. I think it's held in
by some round looking clips.
Also, is it better for me to have the car in pieces when I take it to the paint shop or should it be assembled minus the emblems and stuff?
One more...should I try to sand it down my self? Will this save $$ or will I end up screwing it up?
thanks guys
If you take a car that you sanded:
To any reputable auto body and paint shop, they will laugh you out of the door. that's one of the parts of the preparation that can either: make a show piece or shit piece.
Taking off the emblems and the parts that are impossible to mask, like spoilers and mirrors are good things to do though.
Refinish King

go to a Pep Boys and buy a trim removal too to do it right. It will be your favorite tool during a restoration and your clips will survive being removed.
Jim