more P38 off-road questions!

I'm just trying to get my P38 sorted for some more serious off-roading than I have been doing, but finding info (or parts) for it is not particularly easy because I guess not that many of them are off-roaded just yet.

At the moment I've got the standard Scorpion ST's, 255 tyres on it, and I want to go to a more aggressive tread and probably 235 section. I have the 16in 8J alloys on, first question being can I fit 235's to these, or do I have to find a set of 7.5J wheels? Second question, which tyres would anyone recommend? I will probably go for A/T's rather than a set of M/T's just yet. Any idea if I could fit a set of "standard" LR steel wheels to the P38, just for off-roading, or are the stud patterns different?

Other thing, does anyone know if I can get a steering guard and diff guards for the P38, and if so, where from? I haven't been able to locate anything like this for the P38. Can anyone comment on whether diff guards are worth fitting? Come to think of it, does the P38 need a steering guard!?

Anything else I should consider doing to the P38 before abusing it properly?

Cheers,

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

...and Matthew Maddock spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I know one that was...

I fitted 245/70s to it on the standard rims with no problems. I couldn't find decent offroad tyres in 255 section, although they would have fitted if I had. 235s might look a bit narrow on those rims, but would probably be OK.

BFG A/T every time. Never stuck in the rough, quiet and good grip on tarmac, even wet tarmac. Reckon on at least 30K out of them.

Stud patterns are the same, but the hub is different. Not do-able without modifying either hub or wheel, AIUI. It involves skimming some metal off the inside of the wheel/outside of the hub - it would need to be done very professionally. Big safety items, wheels.

Never seen a steering guard. A diff guard to fit any LR would do - they're pretty much the same.

If you're venturing anywhere rocky (which would include water where you can't see what's below the surface) and you want to drive it home again, then yes. And one on the back, if you intend to reverse at all. :-)

It wouldn't hurt, if you're doing anything serious, although if you jack the air-sus up to its full height it's got pretty good clearance. You'd need to measure up and then see if a guard for a 90 or whatever could be persuaded on. Nothing's impossible!

Read this month's (or was it last month's ) LRO, where a guy has modified a P38 for serious off-roading. He intended to do challenge events in it but found it had too much bodywork, so now he's desert racing as far as I could tell.

Good luck.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:dpuhr5$2sp$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I seem to remember a Land Rover magazine (LRO or LRE) having an article on upgrading a P38 for off road. From memory the owner built a lot of the underbody protection himself and had custom Mach 5 wheels made due the different stud pattern.

Cannot quickly find the article but it would be in the last 6 months.

<A>

I think its this months (feb edition) Icky

Reply to
icky