Muffling Effect of Catalytic Converter

I have a 1985 Z-28 5.0L TPI. I was wondering if the catalytic converter contributes any significant exhaust noise reduction. I recently replaced both the original catalytic converter and the
muffler on my car. I noticed that the exhaust noise is noticeably louder now and has a different pitch to it too. Since I have replaced the muffler several times before from the same service center without the noise change I suspect the catalytic converter as the culprit. The original catalytic converter was larger with two chambers. The new converter has only one small chamber so I'm thinking this must be why the exhaust noise is so much louder. Does this mean the replacement muffler should have been "matched" to the newer catalytic converter to get the proper noise reduction?
Nightbreaker
Catalytic converters most definately have an effect on the exhaust noise. Replacement mufflers aren't made to take that into account. If it's too loud for you, you may have to get a factory replacement cat from the dealer. When you find out how much they cost you may decide to just get used to it the way it is though. On the upside you may get a little better gas milage with the higher flow but noisier cat.
Gary