Noob needs help picking car

Hello,
I'm looking to purchase a muscle car. I'm quite new to older american cars so I'd really like some opinions on what would be a good *first* car. I'm
not looking to spend too much, (7,000 US or so), and I really like the lines of cars like the Charger and the 67 Pontiac LeMans. Basically I'm looking for advice on what will be an easy car to get parts for, which ones to stay away from, etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Buddee.

For $7,000 you most likely won't be able to get one of the more desirable muscle cars out there in good shape. They tend to start at $10,000. For 7G's you should be able to find a good looking daily driver but not much more. Hemmings Motor News is a good magazine to get a general idea on the kind of cars that your budget will buy.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Newly updated
Some are wise and some are otherwise
I didn't get a muscle car like the poster wanted, but I did get a good running, rust free 1970 Sport Fury 4dr sedan with 93,000 orignal miles for $800.00. Get more looks & waves & people comming up and talking to me about my car than I ever imagined. Never have had this ever happen to me in over 38 yrs of driving I just thought I had bought a good runing older car. My teenage son's friends go nuts over it too. In my days I would have turned my nose up at it. It is beyond me. he car to have in my days was 55-57 Chev preferably a Nomad .

We drive Fords now because GM isn't making anything right now that interests me, but you just can't beat a Chevy.
68-72 Malibu if you're willing to buy a handyman special and put in some work---- 82-92 Camaro if you just want to "buy and drive". That body style of Camaro is destined to become a classic as they age (just my opinion) and for $7000 you can get a lot of quick beautiful car. Check eBay---there's some gorgeous rolling stock to be had for that kind of money.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:56:55 -0700

I got an excellent 2nd generation camaro for that price with 40000 miles, no rust whatsowever, with 350ci V8, here in the Netherlands. Prices in USA should be similar or lower. Good first gen camaros are well over $10K, both in USA and Europe.
The '76 camaro was my very first American car, and I am delighted with it. The only thing that I hate about it, is fuel consumption of 22mpg. (fuel is heavily taxed around here: US$ 4.94 per gallon).
What I find amazing about old American cars, is that new parts will always be available, and are even very cheap. European parts will stop very early in the car's lifecycle, are never compatible between models, and are prohibitively expensive.
Bram
--
I have a wonderful proof of my intelligence, which this char[120] is too small
to contain.