Q: 1967 Z-28

Hi folks,
I recently got an offer for a '67 Z-28. I haven't seen the car yet but the seller (kind of) 'boasts' with the fact that there are only 602 Z-28s made, etc.etc.
I'm definitely no 'Camaro-expert' but tried to get some infos about the car thru books and the net. What I found a bit strange was that the car (mentioned above) has a TH400 automatic transmission while the original Z-28 was only available with a Muncie 4-speed transmission. At least at musclecarclub.com they explicitely say '...the only way someone could order the Z-28 package was to order a base Camaro with the Z-28 option, mandatory front disc brakes with power assist, and the Muncie 4-speed transmission. You could not order the SS package, automatic transmission, air conditioning, or the convertible.'
Any opinions ?
Thanks a lot for your help.
You are 100% correct on every issue. The original Z28 was built to be a road racer, not a dragster. The original goal was to sell just enough to qualify the Camaro for the five liter Trans am series. The original 67's had no spoilers, no stripes, and no hood scoop. The only visible identification were the "302" tags on the front fenders, with the characters filled with red paint like the 427's unlike all the other motors which used black. I would definitely get the car verified for authenticity before I took the sellers word it was an original Z28. - Gary

It says in my books that it was required to have the close ratio 4 speed Muncie trans. Here's the list of parts that came with the z28 option...
302 ci/ 290hp, cpv valve, dual deep tone exhaust, special suspension, heavy duty radiator and temp controlled fan, quick ratio steering, 15x6 wheels, 7.35x15" Red Stripe tires, 3.73:1 axle, special paint stripes on hood and deck. Required 4 speed close ratio Muncie, power brakes, front disc or HD front disc w/ metallic rears. Posi recommended.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Newly updated
Some are wise and some are otherwise
No Auto trans No SS package
Its a FAKE
: Hi folks, : : I recently got an offer for a '67 Z-28. I haven't seen the car yet but : the seller (kind of) 'boasts' with the fact that there are only 602 : Z-28s made, etc.etc. : I'm definitely no 'Camaro-expert' but tried to get some infos about : the car thru books and the net. What I found a bit strange was that : the car (mentioned above) has a TH400 automatic transmission while the : original Z-28 was only available with a Muncie 4-speed transmission. : At least at musclecarclub.com they explicitely say '...the only way : someone could order the Z-28 package was to order a base Camaro with : the Z-28 option, mandatory front disc brakes with power assist, and : the Muncie 4-speed transmission. You could not order the SS package, : automatic transmission, air conditioning, or the convertible.' : : Any opinions ? : : Thanks a lot for your help. :

67 Z 28's, and 375 HP 396's could not be ordered with AC. Easy to spot 67 disk brakes, they have four pistons.
Al
Ok guys, Take this as gospel I was fortunate enough to have bought a 67 Z28 in 1967 paid $3200.00 for the beast. Yes it wasa a plain Jane , no gauges just the tach, plain interior, no badging, did have the Z strips though. the only engine identification was on the air cleaner 302 ci 290 hp Oh and there was that distinctive exhaust.. there is a registry for the first gen Z's you should check the vin . As far as i can remember the th400 wasn't even arount in '67.

**As far as i can remember the th400 wasn't even arount in '67.** The TH400 was used in Big Block Camaros in 1967-69, also I think it was being used starting in 1965, in heavy duty and performance applications. There were trucks and passenger vehicles with 327s that used the TH400. The TH350 didn't appear untli very late in the 1968 Model Year, maybe that is what you were thinking of??? Jeff

being
were
didn't
TH400 came out in the 64 Buick, in 65 most GM cars had it. Chevy still offered the PowerGlide for a few years. The 400 replaced the 3 speed Hydromatic better known as the slim jim, and the 4 speed Hydromatic used in Cadillac, Olds and Pontiac. And the Dynaflow used in all but a few Buicks.
Al
Big Al wrote:

More like 10 years.....
--